81 1200 Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Changed the coolant temp sensor with the one that was in the 1100 motor and now I know what the coolant temp is.

I then played with the acel pump as much as I can in either direction. Moving it to the maximum in the counter-clockwise position, the bike runs the best, but there is still a little bit of break-up, so I need to work with the main jet a little.

I am beginning to ride it further and further and even making numerous stops with it, so my confidence in it is building.

I pulled the main jet out, drilled it to approximately 1.40mm or a 140 and quickly found that it was too much. I started the bike and it idled fine but as soon as tried to pull out, the bike fell on itself.

Soldering brass must be an art form that I haven't mastered yet because I cannot seem to get any solder on that jet no matter how hard I try. As soon as I think it is good, the solder falls off. More attempts tonight.

Oh in case it helps someone in the future, here is a jet size, MM, Inch, drill bit size chart I found while searching for one...

View attachment JetSizes.pdf

Most pen type soldering irons will need quite a while to heat the brass enough for the solder to flow and bond. Any air flow will increase the amount of heat needed. As will holding the jet in a vise. Think heat sink.

I was sure it was a heat issue because I could easily pick up the jet after soldering it which told me that it wasn't getting hot. I was going to move to the torch tonight. I also ordered a few extra jets last night just in case I cannot get it right.

Yeah... $10.00 each and wait a week for them to arrive is somewhat an issue. Gone are the days of going to the local auto parts store and actually finding the parts you really need are in stock.

I set the jet on an appropriate sized drill bit to prevent the solder from filling the entire jet's cavity. Saves a lot of time drilling them out. It probably is worth using larger bits to chamfer the holes to replicate original jet. I use flux liberally first.

I broke down and bought a butane torch and now the jet is as close to a 130 as I can get it with my crappie drill bits. Once I get the Jets I ordered I'll change that one out but with the jet as it sits now and the Acel pump at half, the motor pulls like a train through the first three gears. In 4th and 5th, I still notice a little bit of break up.

I need to get the tach sorted out because it isn't working... I'm not sure if that is my tach, the wiring, or the signal from the C5. I also need to get my phone mounted to the handlebar so I can use my MPH app. When I am in 3rd and getting ready to shift to 4th, I am already doing 80, so the 85 MPH speedo is useless.

Sounds great Brian. Falling off in higher gears you might want to verify the choke is in fact wide open when fully warmed.

The choke on 34 Pict 3 is electric, and this one is non-operational. I have the kit to convert it to manual, but for now, I don't need it, so I am going to keep it as is... It is completely open.

I'm glad to hear you're making progress, Brian. I felt kinda bad when you drilled to 140 like I suggested and it didn't work for you.

It sounds like I need to investigate this c5 business...

Latest posts