Layed the 1100 down

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
This actually happened almost 2 months ago. I've felt too embarrassed to post about it. Not sure why now that I think more about it.
Maybe my experience could help someone avoid the same.

Was canyon riding, with my son on his bike. The Oldwing was feeling good, and I was getting warmed up to the turns.

We took Angeles Forest Hwy that leads down to Lancaster from the mountains. Great road. Clean, nice camber in the road. Usually not much traffic, though commuters use this as a cut from L.A to Palmdale. There wasn't much traffic this day.

Normally our curves can be taken easily on any bike 10+ mph faster than the posted caution signs. About 10 is all I do on the heavy Oldwing.
This particular turn was posted 30. There were a few cars ahead so I was going maybe 35 in this turn like the cars were.
I normally scan the road ahead and the road right in front of me, as I saw what appeared like a strip of oil I ran over. Out came the front tire as i felt the bike lay over toward the left side, Strange feeling. The left side hadn't contacted the ground yet, as the front tire regained traction and the bars wobbled some to straighten up. I had almost recovered it when I suddenly went thru the windshield breaking it into a couple pieces, me landing about 10 feet in front of the bike. If there was just 1 foot or 2 wider asphalt I could have had it, but the front tire hit a narrow dirt strip between the asphalt and guard rail, then pinned against and under the guard rail stopping the bike and throwing me over.

Some rash on the left side fairing. Both driving lights and highway boards damaged or ripped off the bike. Otherwise okay.
Guess I bruised muscles and nerves in my left shoulder. Think maybe my shoulder impacted the top edge of the windshield.
There's been a lot of pain and weakness but it's getting better.

Oh well, shit happens. Could have been worse.

No pics of the scene. We were rushed to get the bike uprighted to not block traffic. Bystanders were great, they were waving traffic to stop and to get by us. Forestry service was fast to get there sheesh, maybe 5 minutes after.

I will be avoiding the canyons on the Oldwing from now on.

Geez man. Well I always say, falls are part of riding. It's an unfortunate event and all you can do is try to minimize it and get back on the horse. Feel better!

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about the get off, Dan.

Lots of unexpected things can happen in the twisties. A few weeks past, I encountered a deer loping across a sharp curve in the Sitgraves national forest just as I reached the apex. I didn't hit him and I don't think I would have, but it unnerved me enough to make me lose my focus in the turn. I almost went off onto the shoulder.

My point is that in situations like that, it's not the motorcycle, it's the place and time. The old girl deserves to get out there every now and then. Don't let an oily spot in the road stop you from allowing that to happen.

Hope that shoulder heals up quick.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Dang Dan.....glad to hear yer not seriously injured!! Sooner or later, something like that will happen to all of us tho, so don't feel too bad about telling....it could be a wake up call for someone else. :yes:

Glad you weren't badly injured, as others have said, it's not if you go down, but when, ride safe my friend!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Glad to hear that you are all right after your incident Dan. :good:
All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT) is the only way to ride. I know it can be hot in the middle of summer and going for a stroll along Venice Beach while wearing your Kevlar lined jeans, riding boots and carrying a leather armoured jacket not much fun. As you are well aware it is impossible to know when fate or a brain fart combines to require all your safety gear. And let’s not get started on all the wonderful cage drivers that adopt my other favourite riding idiom (SMIDSY) Sorry Mate I Didn’t See You! I actually feel slightly guilty when I wear my old leather armoured riding jacket (the leather is pretty beat up), my work boots (steel caps) and my work overalls when I ride to work. I still wear good riding gloves and helmet (even if it is a flip up modular style) when taking the bike to work. Like you said it can happen to the best of us with plenty of experience and you wouldn’t expect it to be a problem. I am sure that you would have the same problem as myself in that you really struggle to spend plenty of time in the saddle. I really feel that the only way I ride well is when I do it frequently and challenge myself to take different lines, tuck in harder, lean my body more and a couple of panic style stops for good measure. I just need to ride more! (I haven’t ridden since last Saturday’s VJMC coffee run) :doh:

Yes we can always get fooled ...there’s a place close to me where the hooch bike kicks out the front wheel every time I go though this corner ...thinking I’m at a safe speed ...unnerving to say the least ...seems like road patch there just has oil content to it that’s slicker than the rest of the road...I’ve never gone down there yet..but skate across more than I should ...road nothing but corners for 20 miles ...glad you and the mule are both doing good ....

Thanks everyone!

I’m sold on the proper gear now after going down when I expected “not a chance” lol.
I need to get riding pants. Jeans don’t cut it. My sons ugly knee after healing is proof of that.

Wow.
Been there a while a go with my Oldwing Leaner Sidecar rig.
Fairly high speed twisties with kinda rough surfaces.
Yeah, it could have been worse.
Hope you and your wing recover soon.

Haven't gone down on a highway for a long time.
Dirt bikes, racing circuits a couple but well protected with guards and leather suit.

I guess I should wear protective stuff on a highway too..