Flipping the Rear end...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Changing out the rear tire this weekend, so I went out this evening to get started. I decided to try the "flip the rear up" method instead of just the saddlebag, because the chrome trim on this bike does NOT have the splits in it that will allow easy access to the screws that hold part of the bodywork on. Anyway...after getting all of the crap out of both bags, and the trunk, it took me just aboot 15 minutes to get the rear body flipped up. Doing it this way puts the rear diff/tire/wheel/brakes all out in the open, with a good view of everything. Sweeeeet! :yahoo: Easy peasy. I been reading horror stories aboot getting it back down, and fastened properly, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Here's a few pics. :BigGrin:

And here's one of the reasons for the tire swap...

This cut, or split just turned up Monday. Not sure if it is a rubber failure, or if I ran over something that cut it.

And another....

This nail was in the tire when I bought the bike last year. It wasn't loosing any air, so I left it in there. Apparently, as the tire wore, it pushed the nail farther into the tire until it finally started loosing air....yesterday....on the ride home....oooops!

annnnd then there's this...

Front tire was here Saturday, rear tire and diff seal will be here tomorrow. Sure glad it turned cold today... :smilie_happy:

It’s crazy about tires. We’ve had too many nails in the burb tires to count in the 12 years we’ve had it. My van that goes into construction sites and cutting thru trashy alleys has had just one nail in the same number of years.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198341#p198341:26pr6rig said:
brianinpa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 am[/url]":26pr6rig]
Damn dude! What is it with you and rear tires? :headscratch:

:hihihi:

To be fair, these tires have over 14,000 miles on them. The rear may have more, as it was almost new when I got the bike, but the PO couldn't remember exactly when he put it on. Had I gone ahead and pulled that nail out then, it prolly would have been fine. Can't say for sure what caused the big cut/split, but it does go all the way down to the bottom of the tread. On the 1100, I would have changed the rear tire three times at 14,000 miles.... :yes: so I ain't bitching this time.

Ummm did you do it wrong? I've seen several people that swear to change the tire on these you just lay it on it's side, then change the tire. I have no clue myself, I go through the remove all the hardware, can't stand the thought of one laying down. Like a horse, maybe it won't get up and you'll have to shoot it :)

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198358#p198358:1hpmo38l said:
julimike54 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:41 pm[/url]":1hpmo38l]
Ummm did you do it wrong?

Seriously?!?!? You're asking ME if I did something wrong?!?!!? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Of course I did ! :smilie_happy:

But really...the GL1800s are the ones folks are dumping on the side to pull the rear tire. On those, the wheel bolts on like a car wheel, with 5 lug nuts/bolts. Lay it over, remove the lugs, and brake components, then out comes the wheel. :good:
The 1500 is just like the 1000/1100/1200, with an axle that runs all the way thru the wheel. The 1500 is MUCH easier to get the rear tire off than my 1100. In fact, I could have the tire/wheel off the 1500 before I can even get all the crap(light bar, saddlebag, luggage rack, etc.) out of the way on the 1100 just to get TO the tire. In total I spent MAYBE an hour getting the tire/wheel off on the 1500...which I finished doing this evening...took about 20-30 minutes to finish pulling it out, but at least 10 minutes of that was trying to get the dang muffler off. It dint need to come completely off to get the axle past it, but I wanted it off so I could clean/polish it while I am there. :yes:

I'm taking the wheel, and other parts to the shop tomorrow to put it all in the washer to get all the nasty grease from the diff seal off. Tire and seal did arrive today, so I now have everything I need to wrap this job up this weekend. :yahoo:

btw...the Honda service manual shows to do this job pretty much the same way, EXCEPT it says to unplug the wiring harnesses(lights/antenna), and completely remove the two bolts that it is pivoting on now, and then pull the ENTIRE rear body section OFF the bike as one unit. Nice, if you have plenty of help to do that....which is why folks discovered it would be easier to just leave the two top bolts IN, but loose, and then flip the body work up instead. :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198351#p198351:125vt3h5 said:
AApple » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:42 pm[/url]":125vt3h5]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198341#p198341:125vt3h5 said:
brianinpa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 am[/url]":125vt3h5]
Damn dude! What is it with you and rear tires? :headscratch:

:hihihi:

To be fair, these tires have over 14,000 miles on them. The rear may have more, as it was almost new when I got the bike, but the PO couldn't remember exactly when he put it on. Had I gone ahead and pulled that nail out then, it prolly would have been fine. Can't say for sure what caused the big cut/split, but it does go all the way down to the bottom of the tread. On the 1100, I would have changed the rear tire three times at 14,000 miles.... :yes: so I ain't bitching this time.

14,000... I'd be happy with that as well.

julimike54":125vt3h5 said:
Ummm did you do it wrong? I've seen several people that swear to change the tire on these you just lay it on it's side, then change the tire. I have no clue myself, I go through the remove all the hardware, can't stand the thought of one laying down. Like a horse, maybe it won't get up and you'll have to shoot it :)

Yeah, I think I feel the same way. I know there are those that say there is nothing wrong with it, but I have to wonder about laying a $40K bike on the ground intentionally.

Getting close to 15,000 miles on a set of Michelin Commander II tires on my '85 LTD. Pretty good mileage. Would like more. Tire pressures checked weekly at 40 PSI, suspension in good condition. Still looking for a 1500 rear that won't break the bank, Have found one up here on the island for $450.00 (ouch).

Like the room you have on the back end. That leaking seal looks ugly.

Never lay my 1800 over on its side to change the tire. Just take the back end off. The stereo system, rear fender, and some brackets. Tire just rolls out. To get at the tire nuts, a long extension and impact wrench.

Cheers

Rear tire done. Just need to install the left muffler, and seat. :yes: Not too bad of a job, considering it is the first time on the 1500. I'll get the front tire done tomorrow, and be ready to ride again come Monday.

Dunlop E4 mounted on clean rim with Dynabeads.

Diff cleaned & new seal installed

Compared to this mess....

And this cut is way far worse than I thought(not the same damage as I posted before...a different cut). Also, if you click on this pic to enlarge it, you'll see how bad the tire was cupped.

Rear back together, except for left muffler.

:party: :yahoo:

Tires all finished up yesterday, rode in to work this morning, and for the FIRST time since I've had this bike, I can ride with NO vibrations!! :clapping: Rides like it's on a cloud now, the way it's s'posed to. I be so happy.. :music:

i bought new brake pads for front and rear, and installed the new ones on the rear, because the rear pads were worn almost to the metal, BUT....the new front pads are aboot HALF as thick as the worn pads that are on it now!! WTF??? :sensored:
I dint use the front pads....the "old" ones still have plenty of meat on them yet, but I'll be buying pads from a different source when I do need them again..these new ones are so thin if you had taken them off of a bike, you would think they were worn slap out. I doubt they would survive more than a couple thousand miles.

Funny how the E3's split like that, as mine too. Maybe that's why they were discontinued.

image.php

image.php

I had already told Joel about the crack in my rear tire, but when I went out to get graphic evidence I found 2 no 3! cracks and the plug I put in last winter is gone. :shock:

~O~

That thar tire am worn out anyway, but it is strange to see the same kind of cracking on yours. Better get that thing changed!
Still...mine(E3) had far more miles on it than I would ever have gotten out of anything on the 1100 before it would be slap worn out.
The new E4s seem to be good so far. No surprises on the ride to/from werk today, and they ride really nice. Plus, they mounted on the rims really easily....no hassle at all with either of them. We shall see how they stack up, mileage-wise. :yes:

Check the build dates on your tyres, they are probably as old as the hills and that’s why they are cracking. :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199359#p199359:23btprpu said:
Omega Man » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:38 am[/url]":23btprpu]
Joel! Yoo never posted about replacing the trunks. I'm doing this today and would like a heads-up on what to expect. :BigGrin:

~O~

:headscratch:
You mean putting it all back together? I dint have any issues at all on mine, as I had read others have had. I did loosen the other two(lower) bolts for the crash bar so it would be easier to get the two(upper) bolts back in thru the saddlebags.

It's a tight fit between the bags and the crashbar, and mufflers(if you don't remove them completely), and it might feel like something is gunna break, but it all goes back just fine, with no damage....at least on mine, anyway. It will take some tugging to get the rear flipped up for the same reason, but don't be skeered. I did this completely by myself, with no helper, and it went fairly quick. You have my # if you need to call, but I bet you will be able to get it done with no snags. :yes: :good:

btw...you'll want to have something to hold the rear up while putting it back together....with the bolts out, it will sag down, and the bolt holes will not line up. I used my small floor jack under the rear panel so I could move it up/down as needed. Blocks of wood, books, whatever would work too.