Setting Amp Controls

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedoo2

Reaction score
I recently put in a new stereo head unit and am now going to install an amp to boost things. I have a Kenwood KAC-M3004 amp, 600 watts. I had, in full disclosure, almost ruined the thing a while back when the battery lead touched the negative and pretty much burned all the wires in what I thought might burn up the bike and my garage. Quick work yanking the battery connection saved my arse.

At any rate all is fine now after sending the amp to Kenwood and them replacing something. It works now. Radio itself is fine and I am jammin.

My question concerns the controls/settings on the amp. There are Filter Frequency controls; High pass (HPF) and Low pass (LPF) filter positions and at this point they are set to off. There is an Input Sensitivity as well and I have no idea what any of these things mean.

Any enlightenment would be helpful. Could be that I don't need any filtering at all??? Here's a picture of the controls

Amp.jpg

The filters are like crossovers on a speaker. The LOW pass would let the bass only to the speaker, HIGH pass, the highs. (Or maybe it's the other way around, I'm no expert)
If you were using this amp to power a bass speaker only, you'd turn on the low filter, turn on high if you wanted to keep the bass from making the speakers "pop". Installed on the bike, you'd probably leave these off.

Input sensitivity compensates for line level coming in from various sources. On the bike, you'll probably only have FM and maybe a line from a digital source. The sensitivity will boost weak inputs and attenuate overly strong ones. If you have both, you'll have to find a compromise.