MAKING A TRIKE

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

Been a while, poor weather and worse health slow me down. But don't stop me!
Put the pics up in a bunch in case some were bad.

Third and fourth are the instrument panel I have been making, put a block of sapele through the band saw so I have enough to do end and sides to keep the rain out. My original panel had been broken and the handlebar starter switch had disintegrated. Lifted the fuel gauge off the faux tank top, don't seem to have the block of 3 clocks most GL1000s came with. The leds came without tails or markings so with some good help from NGW I tested them with a low voltage supply and found out which way to wire the tails and earths. They do work, and each tail has a crimped connector. I wired the earths to the choc block to take just one earth tail off.

First pic is the modified air receiver to fuel tank. I have taken a brave pill and will attempt again to give it a vynil wrap. Last time I tried it just wasn't good enough so I've bought some more expensive wrap this time won't try any complex curves, I shall leave the ends black.

Second pic shows the battery strapped down and most of the electrical components housed. You can also see the modified gear lever, I've moved the lower link up a bit to give a better address to the gear crank and reduced the lever throw a little. The foot boards are bolted down so I have been able to temporarily replace the saddle and checked the fit. Feels good, really good!

The ignition leads are now made up and I will fit them next. Still have the tank and fuel line to connect but at least it's in. Then I have to tidy up the rats nest of wires, add oil water, plugs and petrol and it might run. Oh, and fit the points.

Doing a fair bit of trike work in the house now because of the weather which helps move things along.

IMG_0466.JPG

Thought you might like to know I am still around, still working on the trike and still, since Christmas, doing the electrics. So you have missed very little from my last post, it still looks the almost the same. You can see the virtually finished tank in place, even, if you look closely, the LED numberplate lights.

All the electrics now work (the horn is playing up, must look at it) and I am now adding a mandatory hazard warning switch. This means using a double pole double throw switch to connect both sides of the indicators. I will see if it works soon. I assume hazards were not a requirement on bikes 40 years ago, but on all vehicles now they are.

So still the usual stuff, but it is nice to get posting again.

Single pole single throw switch connecting both signal feeds will give you 4 way flashers. Just turn the signal on for either side and turn the switch on.

I've wired it so I don't have to select an indicator first. I hope. Have to try it yet.
Takes me a while to get around to doing things especially right now. Wife has been taking me to Pilates and it leaves me broken

Yes. Still here. Going slow for a while, health problems. Getting in only a few hours a week and still not finished the electrics. Doom. Almost ready to run though, just got the fuel line to fit then oil, water, fuel and lots of hope!