Mother In Law Passed

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
These last few months we have been inundated providing care to my Mother in Law. Although she was a bit young for it, she went into assisted living at the age of 74 years old. We had moved her to an AL facility in southwest Virginia near our oldest daughter and her family for two years and then she came back to an AL here in New Jersey around the corner.

She had a minor stroke last September and was moved into long term care. Right before Thanksgiving, she had a followup MRI from the stroke for the neurologist and he discovered a brain tumor the size of a golf ball. Comparing to the MRI in September, the tumor had developed and grown to that size in less than 2 months. The day before Thanksgiving, we brought her home to our house on hospice. She had the opportunity to spend Thanksgiving with us (and family), all of Christmas with the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. After they left, 2 days later she stroked again with complete paralysis. Yesterday morning, at 77 years old, she passed with us at her side.

We are more than grateful that we had this period with her at our house. Things have not been easy for us as my Wife and her Mother were at odds over many things for many years with my Wife always being the caretaker and primary caregiver. This period allowed them to reconcile while my Wife and I were able to provide 24/7 care.

I am glad that you and your family were able to provide care for your mother in law in the final part of her life. Hopefully life will be a little more settled now for you and your family. :yes:

May I pass along condolences from my household to yours. Losing a loved one in a long drawn out process isn't easy, but the loss is always hard.

No matter how old we get, it is hard to lose a parent. You should feel at peace that you gave her the best possible care you could. My condolences to you and your family.
Kerry

2017 sucked!!

I lost a mother-in-law, a brother and a brother-in-law. My oldest sister then checked in to the hospital for tests (She is OK) and I told her she couldn't go yet because she was the last of the family standing between me and the final dark.
Sometimes you gotta be frank (No, I'm Tom!).

Gerry, my deepest condolences to you, your wife, and your family. It's a wonderful thing you were able to do for her, and the way she and your wife were able to make peace is such a blessing! Peace, health, happiness, and prosperity to you all in 2018!