the Hunley, or pidjones needed a project - '78 frame with '75 engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But, slowly coming clean. Using carb & choke cleaner, opening the garage door every half hour for an hour to air it out. Not as bad as the brake cleaner! You can see progress made, but a long way to go.
WP_20171215_15_46_04_Pro.jpg

Flipped to clean on right side for a while. Will this EVER come clean? Seems like crud reappears over night.
WP_20171218_16_30_15_Pro.jpg

Only got one half-hour session on it today. Had to go to Dr. this morning to get a cortisone shot in my left thumb. Been getting worse since before Thanksgiving, and I want it covered under this year's insurance. Just getting old pain, I hope. Gets pretty sore when I use it much, though. Good (no, GREAT!) thing is that it doesn't hurt to work the clutch on the GL1800.

"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out."

slabghost":12qiuzfk said:
Brake cleaner is on sale at advance auto. The big cans (spray) of the Wearever brand. Buy one get one.
I have a can of O'Reily brand. Works good, but vapors too strong to use in basement garage. Carb/choke cleaner is bad enough. Weather in East Tennessee may get to upper 50's tomorrow, so I'll be able to leave the garage door open and run a box fan.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

A little more progress today after rearranging some stuff in the garage to get a bit more working room, then doing some shopping with the wife.

Picked up some more carb cleaner and some engine degreaser at O'reilly on the way home. The degreaser works a lot better than the foaming cleaner that I had tried before. Doesn't smell too bad, either. Opened the garage door and ran the box fan to move some fumes out. Still a little crud left on the bottom in corners, but I'll get it tomorrow.

Right side is starting to clean up nice. The front must have been off and painted - the cleaner takes the paint off of it quickly. The back covers are still pretty bad, and I still need to clean around a lot of bolts. Thinking maybe take them out one at a time, clean under, clean the bolt head, re-torque.

I pulled the right side T cover from the transmission and will probably polish it. I think that all parts and the paint are in.

Cleaned and weighed the valves today. The last three new intake valves are about 3 grams heavier that the one that I bought a couple years ago, but I don't think it will effect things as this is not intended for performance. These new valves (made in Japan) look a lot like they may be two-piece instead of coated seat. I'll have to check with a magnet tomorrow.

Sequence I'm using is engine degreaser, then carb cleaner, then 91% isopropyl alcohol. Using nylon, brass, and SS bristle bushes and Scotch Brite pads with a screwdriver to shove the scrubber into slots and such, and finishing up with a cotton rag then I'll do final wipe down with isopropyl and paper towels.

Will probably paint the bottom fins first with it hanging and let it cure for four or five days. Then set it down on the carpeted furniture dolly and paint the rest.
WP_20171219_16_55_38_Pro.jpg

Worked this morning with a bright LED light and knee pads. Really scrubbed with Scotch Brite in the corners of the bottom fins, then used the plastic abrasive wheel from HF to take the right side down more. I think this side and the bottom are about there. I'll check it again after flipping and completing the left side, front, and back. Then will finish with 91% isopropyl.
WP_20171220_12_23_54_Pro.jpg

Instead of going further on the block today (my left thumb can only handle so much), I polished on the T cover from the right side of the trany (the one right behind the right head).
T cover.jpg

Ooooooh. Shiny! More lipstick for the pig!

Slow going right now because of the weather. It's pretty cold to open the (basement) garage door so I can use the cleaning solvents on the engine cases. Plus there was Christmas with the family. So, today I reassembled the heads (valves, springs, cams. etc.) and have them cleaned and ready to go on once the cases are painted. Might start next on polishing the valve covers, back pieces to the cam belt covers, etc. I'll probably paint the water tubes, but they are off for painting the cases, so I've been cleaning on them (o-ring surfaces ar pretty bad). I know that Viton is popular, but I've used o-rings extensively, and know that if you don't need the properties of Viton to resist temperature or some fluids, they are inferior to Buna N (Nitrile) as they are not as resilient. So, I'll probably use the ones in the Athena (Italian) kit. A little silicon vacuum grease will keep them from pinching. Wish I could get the cases closer to ready for painting, but it will happen soon. Starting to look forward to starting this thing up!

Meanwhile, the 1800 is ready for riding to Cumberland Falls for New Year's lunch.

End of year summary. Both heads rebuilt (new valves and stem seals, seats ground and lapped), frame painted but hanging dusty from the ceiling, block ~75% cleaned for painting, plus so many little things done and still to do!
a881e18f881a2c701699fec160f88008.jpg
e84c87e6a9ea518ed9a973c0fcfc0a86.jpg
18cb3e3dc1654a9e5d65004013c0640c.jpg
af984ca3a348fc763eafed8b936c103f.jpg

While waiting for a bit warmer weather, I decided to start polishing covers and such. This is first step on valve covers. Poly abrasive wheel followed by fine abrasive (think ScotchBrite) wheel in air tool, followed by felt wheel in air tool (peanut grinder) and various compounds. Both covers just need more time in the last step, but it takes quite some time to get it the way I want it then. Look a lot better than the corroded and scratched-up pieces that I started with. The badges are off to keep them from getting messed up.
WP_20180105_10_51_53_Pro.jpg

Yes to get true polish flat surface ...the work is huge ....but once it’s gotten good it’s seems way easier to keep that way ....I’ve done so much furniture building and fine trim work ...kitchen cabinets and such ..I hardly do anything to my stuff ....I always like to used the most aggressive tools along with the highest degree of touch and feel ...burnished old wing covers are hard to beat

Making more progress. Felt wheel on the high speed air grinder with a little rouge followed by hand polish with Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish does great. The one in front is (for the most part) finished. The other still needs more work.
661f5a525ca89f4898858c589c4e279a.jpg