Auxilliary Side Cover Fuel Tanks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last Summer, I ran across a pair of ultra rare aluminum side cover tanks. A friend and I had been discussing them a few months prior and I was surprised to find a pair still NIB and never installed soon after. I grabbed them for him and he has since installed them. We were working on his bike today and I grabbed another couple of shots. The tanks are on a '76 1000 and are each about a gallon.

Definitely different. I've never seen another pair in real life. They are extremely well engineered (except for the gaps at the rear which he's addressing with a couple of panels). I'm surprised they didn't do a little better given the quality of the hardware.

AsReceived.JPG

IMG_5437.JPG

IMG_5439.JPG

IMG_5603.JPG

GL1000 tank plumbing.jpg

never seen before. cool. cool. they fit any four cylinder oldwing, do they?

desertrefugee":2uyrvyxz said:
Last Summer, I ran across a pair of ultra rare aluminum side cover tanks. A friend and I had been discussing them a few months prior and I was surprised to find a pair still NIB and never installed soon after. I grabbed them for him and he has since installed them. We were working on his bike today and I grabbed another couple of shots. The tanks are on a '76 1000 and are each about a gallon.

Definitely different. I've never seen another pair in real life. They are extremely well engineered (except for the gaps at the rear which he's addressing with a couple of panels). I'm surprised they didn't do a little better given the quality of the hardware.

View attachment 4
View attachment 3
View attachment 2
View attachment 1
Now that's a very cool idea to make up for other models. Trip to the fabricators I think

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'm thinking that you would want to make sure the main tank
is close being empty before opening up the extra petcock.
Head pressure might cause the lower tanks to leak fuel out tank vents/filler caps.
Moe

mr moe":1xhrvcue said:
I'm thinking that you would want to make sure the main tank
is close being empty before opening up the extra petcock.
Head pressure might cause the lower tanks to leak fuel out tank vents/filler caps.
Moe
Perhaps I'm being thick but if all three were linked to one petcock then that would seem to work. I guess the issue is when one is fully empty and if they were linked then the aux tanks would drain first then the system would sick air in those vessels.

slabghost":2in41geq said:
Look at the pictures. All three tanks are at the same level.
Oh. Right . Doh. Like I said being thick. No that's the science of stupid.