The hooch bike SCC review and redo project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the hooch bike has traveled a long road ...many on this forum know how long the build process was and basically covered three bikes getting to the hooch build ...all steps in the process of getting to my ultimate build that I could pull off ....I’m posting on the SCC forum cause this was the move that made the bike work with all the other mods I did ....simply put after all the mods to the motor ...no stock carbs could feed it ...there capacity was just to small and the vacuum my motor made and the springs of resistance just emptied the carbs of fuel ...I rember when I had stock carbs on a 77 rack ...the bike would launch forward them bog down ..may have been over fueled I’m not sure ...and sometimes it would just quit running ...when that happened the carbs were just drained dry...and obviously the fuel pump could not keep up ...total mismatch of carbs and motor setup ...

Then entered the SCC set up ...it started with a 740 motorcraft dft license copy of a Weber progressive carb and it stills has it ....this is like the biggest carb that Weber made in this style of carb ..it’s bigger than what most users of dft carbs have ....sort of a rare model

Well I worked with this carb for at least two years trying to get the idle circuit from being to rich ..I think the pull this motor has at idle rpm is so great it really suck some gas in ...it would spit gravel at idle speed going up the driveway I had at the time ...I won’t get into long drawn out details but I was able to finally mod the carb enough to get great plug color and excellent mpg and actually aerating my own idle circuit completely different from its stock form ...from that day on the bike really was a one of a kind like no other ...I travel many miles on It and long road trips...once almost echieving 60mpg ....

Now performance...I’m not a great rider in my judgement..I’m just okay in my opinion ...but on my rides to nowhere I would like to get on it some ...in first gear being shaft drive bike it can get wild in a hurry ....especially when the second barrel kicks in ...bike like to do circles won’t stay strait might be als the 1200 final drive is 1/2” off from center line from Honda and it may be Honda did this on purpose to help prevent Cassy jacking I don’t know really never look to see ..should be easy to figure out though ...in second gear I felt comfortable enough to let it romp ...many times this will raise the front wheel off the ground ...hitting third gear doesn’t last long for me ...as the bike approaching 100mph it becomes a handful ...it’s like there is no weight on the front end at all and death wobble is in the game either staying in it or backing down ....there is no telling what this might could do in forth and fifth gear ...I’ve never been there ....the one thing that can accrue on this bike is sometime ir just quits ...it’s obviously draining the bowl dry when this happens

I have looked into this some and changed fuel pumps with no success ...will be going to electric fuel pump on the rebuild of the bike...for sure

For those that don’t know ,...the basic motor is a 1200 ...with 1100 heads ...early 371 1000 cams installed....knotched pistons for valve relief ...1200 final drive and wheels ...motor is like a stroked and bored out 1000 setup ...far from stock ..seems my carb setting don’t line up much with other dft carbs on stock motors ...also has c5 ignition and customized timing advance curve programmed by Paul at c5 meet and greet yrs ago....will began working on it soon ...with plenty of pics

Joe did you kick a Rod on the Hooch ? I need to start looking around here , just seen your other post ,This motor was a rocket ! I know we road together and it was all i could do to get around you with the Blown Valk . i was kinda surprised ! Hope to see Hooch back up here and will be following your progress Bro !

Well it really knocking ...I haven’t rode it since last summer ....I tried to use copper head gaskets after blowing a head gasket and things went south it seems motor had knock ever since then ...I think it just got to hot that day ..the dang fan quit working ... mostly my fault for sure ...no temp gauge and got caught up in some really bad stop and go traffic ....

Pics
image.php

image.php

Wow inside valve covers is like bbrand new

image.php

Certainly has Honda belts on it

image.php

A bit aged looking but still looks like new ...

Pics
image.php
q
Time to get after heads ...

image.php
q
Wow ..it’s hard to see in this pic but the bores are like new ...I will not be working in the cylinders at all ...looks to be very low mileage bike ...

image.php

Same with this side...great looking

The person who took this motor out cut wires doing so ...but what gem of a short block ..

...Hmmm. I'm wondering what's going through Joe's mind now. Let me take a stab at it:

"Today the weather is warm. The birds are singing. I smell some kind of flower blooming. I have some things to do. Should I work on the :builder: ...or should I work on the :moped: ? Wonder if I could do both? :head bang:

Wait! I hear a motorcycle coming down the drive. It's my old buddy! Guess I'll do neither. It'll be :beer: instead.

God, I love Springtime"

(Am I close?)

Very close except friend or beer part didnt h¡appen ...I have seen some riding going on ...winter still hanging on tough ...I do have some big projects going on right now and thanks to you guys ...hooch is one of them ....I’m stiil thinking how lucky it is to have such a good low mileage motor to work with ..there’s no doubt that this motor will be like new rebuild I’m hoping ...should be able go as many miles or further than a new bike ....hoping to get rest of bike in this shape and condition ....I’ll probaby start taking the hooch motor apart next ...I have to check things to see if the rear iggy will mount in 1000 frame ...not that it’s going to be use ...there will be some piston notching to do ...the stator wires were cut right at the plug coming out of the rear cover ...not sure how I’m going to go here ...most likely the stator is like brand new ...so I’m thinking fix the wires somehow ...sheesh the clutch is also like brand new I’d say ....seems the bike ran a bit rich in its little running time.....I’m just going to play it as it comes ...not going to make any big deal out of things ...spring here it’s time to ride soon ...not going to make a show bike project out of it now ...or ever really ..I wouldn’t know how to take care of one anyway lol...the 84 bike is a great year in my opinion ....it has the same gearing set up as the 83 1100 had and secondary primary gearing also ...sheesh I wish I had and 82-83 clutch cover...if I did I’d get rid of the hydraulic clutch deal and go to cable ...I hate the hydro clutch set up ...to me it takes some feel out of the working and with power hooch has that’s a big deal to me plus my set up is just badly worn out ....the 84 motor and gearing gets you the tallest 5th gear you can get in the 1200 setup ..I’m sure it’s not much but I’m glad to have it ...hooch could handle another gear easy let alone just slightly taller...so far I havnt found much to discount except for wires cut ...oh and the starter looks funky like it’s casting wasn’t done good ...hope it works good ....

And sure I’ll be rebuilding the injection pump on tractor too....I’m hoping it’s just a major clean up and put back together and reinstall ...only big deal is keeping it all timed right like an oldwing ....the get to know the tractor program is in class lol ...have great day everyone

well its been awhile and im not in Indiana no more back in fla ..a month or so after the last post in this thread i broke my back in a wreck ...did get the hooch bike and the new motor down to fla with me ....i did get hooch running again on the old motor and just today put on a new clutch master cylinder ..china made im sure 26.85$ free shipping seems to be great part had it mounted up and bled in 30 minutes at most ..clutch feels great....so the bike seems to be straving for gas with the ride i just went on today ..so tomorrow ill try and see if i can do something to improve that ...but im thinking its going to take a electric fuel pump to cure it ...but im also going after the float valve where gas come in the carb and all the connections in the custom induction system ...ive had this carb off many times and completely apart ..in reality im just going to go through it ...

im going to change the motor out im sure but i need some transportation till me and JPwinger can get setup to work on the bike he is going to help me do it....im not capable with my back enough to go it alone .... :builder:

and just like that the fuel pump quit working sheesh ....i think i have a 1200 electric fuel pump...i hope i can fine it... :builder:

on second thought i better check and see if i need gas .... :smilie_happy: :swoon: