1500 Gurus..this one's fer YOU...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks fellers!!

But...I'm happy to say....EUREKA!!!! :party: :clapping: :yahoo:

Problem found, and a temporary fix has been made. Temporary until this weekend when I have more time to do it "correctly".
And what the heck was it? I'm sooooo glad you axed...I unbolted the relay box to get to it. Started checking relays, and found that if I removed the "Tail/Main" relay, the turn sig lights on the dash went out, and the bike would crank & start. However...if I hit the brakes with it running, it would die instantly, which is what happened this mernin. Checked a few things at the rear, fixed a messed up connection in the left saddlebag for the side lights(from the PO). Still nothing. Since I had the seat off already to check the Bank angle sensor, I found a box with a yeller connector in it that apparently goes to the rear lighting of the bike. Tried to unplug the connector, but it dint wanna give it up. Finally used a pocket screwdriver all the way around the connector and got it apart, and found THIS...

Yup...a melted/overheated terminal. I then found that if I wiggled that connector, the turn lights would flicker, and the bike may or may not start, depending on if the turn lights were on. As a test of my suspicion, I jumpered around the connector with a jumper wire....

Hallybalooya! Everything worked correctly, and the bike would crank & start! Yippie! :yahoo:
There is no way in heck I can get the terminals out of the melted connector, so I just crimped a jumper wire around the connector for now, and everything is good. I'll dig back into it this weekend and do a proper solder/heat shrink job on it. I'll also be diggin into the wiring diagram to find out edzachary WHAT circuit this is. It has a green/silver wire on one side of the connector, and a green wire on the other. Green am usually ground, so.....
Still weird how this would effect the engine running or not, and why the brake system would change it too. I will get to the bottom of it....eventually. :yes:

I's so happy..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now.....the rest of the story....
The two dummies used the rear(passenger) hand holds to strap it down on the flatbed. In doing so, they bent the crap out of the bolts that hold the hand holds, backrest, and seat on. :head bang: I had a hard time getting the seat off last night because of the bent bolts. Why they dint use the lower crash guards is beyond me......except that they were idjits. Also lost one of the plastic covers for the bolts....
The green wires on the connector are definitely grounds, and apparently provide ground for EVERYTHING on the bike.

Great to hear that you finally found your problem Joel. :good: :clapping: :salute:

We let the insurance co. know not to use that tow service for bikes.

Rode to work and back today with no problems at all. Not sure, but I think the lights on the rear body appear to be a smidge brighter now. :yes:
Strange problem, for sure, but....Mother Honda isn't edzachary known for using the best electrical connectors and such. When I tear back into it this weekend to do a proper repair on the wiring, I'm gunna run a"Y" from the green wire there to a bolt right next to the connector as a redundant ground. That should help with any future ground issues for the rear section.

Otay, so I got out there today and did a "proper" repair on the rear lighting harness, as well as the left saddlebag harness. Soldered & heat shrunk all of it. Instead of Y-ing off of the main harness for the rear lighting to run a redundant ground, I wanted to make it where the rear harness could still be dis-connected from the bike if needed, so I ran 2 different grounds, one from the front harness, and one from the rear harness, to a local ground spot. Turned out best... if I ever need to remove the rear bodywork completely, I won't have to cut anything. I dint really want to use any male/female type connectors here....I wanted a solid ground that wouldn't be as susceptible to corrosion/heat. :yes:

Here's what I believe MAY have caused too much resistance in the ground circuit, and melted the connector...

Wirenuts on saddlebag harness....
(this is AFTER I removed the half-azzed tape job the PO had on this)

A bit of corrosion, yes? The wire that was in this corroded nut had only a couple of strands of wire left on it on either side. The rest was dust...

Properly repaired harness...

Repairs for the harness going to the rear lighting...

Separate grounds for front and rear harness...

Finished job...

Annnd...everything STILL works! :yahoo:

Nothing better than when everything works after you have “fixed” it! :good: :salute:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=201878#p201878:38o1yrne said:
AApple » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:01 pm[/url]":38o1yrne]
Thanks fellers!!

But...I'm happy to say....EUREKA!!!! :party: :clapping: :yahoo:

Problem found, and a temporary fix has been made. Temporary until this weekend when I have more time to do it "correctly".
And what the heck was it? I'm sooooo glad you axed...I unbolted the relay box to get to it. Started checking relays, and found that if I removed the "Tail/Main" relay, the turn sig lights on the dash went out, and the bike would crank & start. However...if I hit the brakes with it running, it would die instantly, which is what happened this mernin. Checked a few things at the rear, fixed a messed up connection in the left saddlebag for the side lights(from the PO). Still nothing. Since I had the seat off already to check the Bank angle sensor, I found a box with a yeller connector in it that apparently goes to the rear lighting of the bike. Tried to unplug the connector, but it dint wanna give it up. Finally used a pocket screwdriver all the way around the connector and got it apart, and found THIS...

Yup...a melted/overheated terminal. I then found that if I wiggled that connector, the turn lights would flicker, and the bike may or may not start, depending on if the turn lights were on. As a test of my suspicion, I jumpered around the connector with a jumper wire....

Hallybalooya! Everything worked correctly, and the bike would crank & start! Yippie! :yahoo:
There is no way in heck I can get the terminals out of the melted connector, so I just crimped a jumper wire around the connector for now, and everything is good. I'll dig back into it this weekend and do a proper solder/heat shrink job on it. I'll also be diggin into the wiring diagram to find out edzachary WHAT circuit this is. It has a green/silver wire on one side of the connector, and a green wire on the other. Green am usually ground, so.....
Still weird how this would effect the engine running or not, and why the brake system would change it too. I will get to the bottom of it....eventually. :yes:

I's so happy..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Um yeah, I'm pretty sure it was the prayers Joel. Not yur meekaniacal skilz. The community says "You're Welcome :BigGrin:"

~O~

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202077#p202077:2xm20m6z said:
Omega Man » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:10 pm[/url]":2xm20m6z]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=201878#p201878:2xm20m6z said:
AApple » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:01 pm[/url]":2xm20m6z]
Thanks fellers!!

Um yeah, I'm pretty sure it was the prayers Joel. Not yur meekaniacal skilz. The community says "You're Welcome :BigGrin:"

~O~

I'm purdy shoor my achin back wood beg tuh differ.... :whistling:
:smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=202089#p202089:30v22kiv said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:37 pm[/url]":30v22kiv]
Wire nuts do not belong on any machine/vehicle for that very reason (sorry Joe, I know you like em too).

Ha! I was thinking about Joe's old harness! Glad you got that gremlin squashed, Joel. I hate unidentified intermittents with a passion.