fuel prob

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
came home from Durant last nite , 50miles,, 2am,, was cold, brrrrrrrr,, got nearly too the house and got under somewhat heavy throttle,, and bike just started starving for fuel,, I wondered if I was gonna make it,, got in the drive, seemed to idle alright... Drove it this morning,, considerably warmer out,, throttled (w/o) hard and long,,, no problems.... anyone think I need a pump or that shut off diaphragm replaced,,, ? about 110 miles on this tank,, she needs refill,, so tank is on the low side, if that helps, 40k on 96

I have that on my valk occasionally. Usually because I forgot to turn the petcock on. It does pull enough to keep running but not well. 110 miles is time for reserve on mine.

My first thought would be to check the fuel filter. Then the auto-shut off valve, then pump.

That auto-fuel valve is vacuum operated, so might check the vac hose too.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202555#p202555:2g6j3w8c said:
AApple » Mon May 07, 2018 3:25 am[/url]":2g6j3w8c]
That auto-fuel valve is vacuum operated, so might check the vac hose too.
:good:

ok,, just fueled it, put on twenty hwy miles, no problems,, wonder if it would be anything to do with drastic changing temps last night,(super cold in the bottoms) plus low in tank... ordered a filter,, then realized it was coming from gina,, lol,, didn't see anything close to it at Ooooreilys... coulda maybe sucked through some crud,, I need to figure out a shut off valve for winter storage,, empty carbs much easier to keep.

The tank vent is to let air in. Not out. It is very small. Cold humid air could have caused it to ice closed maybe. There are inline shut off valves sold in parts stores for lawn mowers that might work for you.

put a napa filter on, rode 15 mi. refueled. have a 150 miles on this tank, in high winds, rode double some, drove back at pretty high speeds, still on 1/8 of a tank. np.

if I get a minute, maybe I will cut the filter open, it had a lil resistance blowing through it,, but that could be a lot different with liquid.. when the filter I ordered gets here,, id like to get a shut off valve on the fuel,, guess you could pull a wire off the pump and run it out of fuel for storage. maybe even pull the vacuum hose off ... learnin a lot about it anyways