82 gl1100 project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coyoteluke

Reaction score
I am working on a gl1100 that I'd like to strip down to bare necessities, headlight, taillight, single pan style seat, and steel gas tank after cutting out upper cage and adding a backbone.. I just picked up a vw plenum to run a scc and I got a Holley r9677 with it..I haven't been able to find anyone that has used this carb on an scc and am curious if anyone knows if it will work with proper jetting or if I should just look for the more commonly used Weber 32-32...thanks for any input so far I know very little about carbs.

Holley looks to be about the same size as the 32-32 weber. Should work just fine with the right jetting and adjustment. It will likely need a car electric fuel pump to feed it though. Is it a progressive linkage style carb? Or do both barrels open at once?

It's a progressive style carb the throats are marked 26 and 27 not sure if that is the size of the throat or not but in gonna mount it and see how it runs, can't hurt to try it.

Coyoteluke":1o2qbi3v said:
I am working on a gl1100 that I'd like to strip down to bare necessities, headlight, taillight, single pan style seat, and steel gas tank after cutting out upper cage and adding a backbone.. I just picked up a vw plenum to run a scc and I got a Holley r9677 with it..I haven't been able to find anyone that has used this carb on an scc and am curious if anyone knows if it will work with proper jetting or if I should just look for the more commonly used Weber 32-32...thanks for any input so far I know very little about carbs.
Welcome,do you happen to have a pic of the tank or what it came off of?thanks

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

The tank is an old Kawasaki tank not sure what it's off but I'm thinking a 750 LTD. I tried to upload a picture but my internet isn't cooperating..

Coyoteluke":1sffkcpv said:
The tank is an old Kawasaki tank not sure what it's off but I'm thinking a 750 LTD. I tried to upload a picture but my internet isn't cooperating..
Thanks,if you get it to work,feel free to post it

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Thanks for the welcomes and replies, it's great having some feed back.
347be5552418e95a14e70f70609a976a.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Tank is from a late 80s KZ750 ltd. I have one just like it. I agree it certainly can't hurt to try that carb. I like that it's pretty short. Looks to me like it might do very well.

Just a quick update on my project, I got the time two days ago to finally take my original carb rack off..that took longer than I had thought. Well after acting like a monkey with my hand wrapped around a bannanna in a jar that I couldn't get out I finally realized the easier way to slide the rack of carbs out was to remove the caps from the slides on two carbs. There's probably a whole write up on proper carb removal but, I was feeling smart that day.
Today I got the Holley r9677 mounted to the VW manifold and found myself wondering what to use for runners to the original intake pipes. I found at home depot, in the electrical conduit section, 90° elbows in grey PVC 1" with a connector flare on the end. Bought 4 of those for around 8 bucks and took them home to try them out.. I got them cut to fit roughly, the 1" end fits inside the VW manifold boots quit nice and the flare end fits good in the boot on the original pipe intake..sorta.. I used a heat gun to soften the PVC and get it to make the bends but that didn't work perfectly so I think I have a slight air leak in a couple boots. The only piece of gas line I had was a little too big so I was dripping pretty good under pressure. Despite my first attempt looking like a monkey put it together, the old girl fired up and ran on all 4 cylinders with the choke on.
Not too crazy about the angles the runners have to make to get the VW manifold to line up, I might have to try to build my own manifold or buy the prefabbed one I saw on eBay for $100.. any input on what to use for runners that will seal up better?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Hola!

Lots of single carbs flying around. You know it surprises me that a carb company like Holly hasn't came to the table with a set up just for the GL model conversions. I mean from the intake to the carb to a heat input set up. Guess no money in it, although I know a few that would pay premium dollar for a bolt and play option.