What have I done!? CBX !!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I said I'd phase out this thread, but I guess I'll update it from time to time if I consider an action on this bike to be significant. I think this one was.

As much of a statement of engineering prowess as the CBX was for Honda, I am not really sure how or why they opted to employ a critical component like a swingarm bushing made from plastic. Weight? Ease of installation?

In any case, my swingarm was a bit shabby looking and I never asked the PO (original owner) if he'd upgraded the bushings. I figured maybe I could kill two birds with one stone.

And it turned out he had not:
IMG_5925.JPG

Got these from Germany. I've heard good things about them. They were definitely snug. Judicious use of both freezer and heat gun on opposite bits was necessary. Oh, and a hammer.
IMG_5926.JPG

I have a set of All Balls bearings for the triple tree, but I am seriously considering sourcing another set of forks - inverted and larger than 37mm ... :(

Nice bushes! :good:
One mate has bought a new z900 and it has all the good gear: upside down forks, brembos, efi and stainless 4 into 1. The shortness of the wheelbase of the bike is in keeping with good handling. It looks great with a classic style (flat seat etc) but all the mod cons. Seeing your bike is far from a stock resto I think upside down forks and if you hadn’t just put in new bushes a single sided rear swing arm. :yes: :salute:

Thanks Tony. To be honest, I was actually trying to keep the budget down by avoiding "nonessentials": Haven't been too successful in that regard yet and have done more cosmetic work than I expected. It's addictive, and one could very easily go crazy. (Especially ME).

As it stands now, I am quite sure the bike is worth more than I have into it. I'm thinking it wouldn't take too much to go past that point. I really don't want to do that.

... although I'm not sure it matters. This could very well be a lifetime keeper, if there is such a thing.

... although I'm not sure it matters. This could very well be a lifetime keeper said:
For me this would definitely be one! :good:
Unfortunately I already seem to own two of them! :doh:
Val and the Rats Nest.

...and since one takes good care of keepers (my '78 GL knows this) one takes good care of them. In the case of this motorcycle, I'm truly done for now except for a few minor (honest) details. This was the most expensive improvement.

RC Engineering (of the late, great Russ Collins' fame) made one of the best pipes for the CBX. They're not as common as some of the others, but good things are said about them - and they sound pretty sweet. The PO had a set on for decades, but never ran the silencers (if you can actually call them silencers!) But, the header chrome was badly discolored and there was significant pitting in some of the nether regions. Mentioning this on the CBX board, Greg over there (who also haunts this joint) just happened to have a set of freshly chromed RC headers that had never been used and was willing to give them up!

How could I not go for it?

They arrived yesterday and are now in place. I think the contrast between the fresh chrome and the black motor (not stock on the Z model) really makes those six beautiful pipes pop.

I'm done. Unless I find a really cheap Pro-Link swingarm. :head bang: Or a nice set of CB1000R forks. :head bang: :head bang:
Before and After.jpg

Great to see that Greg could help out, your CBX just got more beautiful. :salute:

Well done sir! She certainly is a keeper. About the only other things I'd consider is a shield and maybe fork brace. Beautiful bike.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202347#p202347:cist764w said:
slabghost » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:56 pm[/url]":cist764w]
Well done sir! She certainly is a keeper. About the only other things I'd consider is a shield and maybe fork brace. Beautiful bike.
Some bikes should stay naked! :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202356#p202356:1rz4iyyx said:
Ansimp » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:27 pm[/url]":1rz4iyyx]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202347#p202347:1rz4iyyx said:
slabghost » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:56 pm[/url]":1rz4iyyx]
Some bikes should stay naked! :good:
I did say "consider". Long distance rides get very tiring without a shield.

I heard that - but I have a machine for long distance rides. Day trips on this one only (but around here, daytrips can easily exceed 300 miles!) Regardless, I am pretty sure I don't want a shield. I did try out my Viper a while back. Some go that route, but like Tony says, "some bikes should stay naked". I think this is one of them.
IMG_5745.JPG

Also, it sported the period "double hoop" fork brace when I got it. I was never a fan, but the look is growing on me. And, as spindly as the forks are, they do seem pretty solid. No hurry for an upgrade for now!
IMG_5757.JPG

Still racing the Summer heat clock, I have morning hours. West-facing garage and 100F+ temperatures mean I'm done by Noon. I really only have two more actions on deck until I retire to the A/C and the pool.

I had a sizable oil leak out of the alternator housing. Turned out to be an oring I hadn't anticipated. So, it's still apart until that oring comes in. I'm doing brushes and bearings while I'm in there. By the way, the alternator is driven by an ingenious clutch in an oil bath. The clutch is designed to reduce the torque on the primary shaft (lightweight) which also drives the ignition pulsars. This shaft is behind and driven off the crank and is what keeps the width of the CBX from being excessive.
IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

I'm also fixing the ubiquitous early CBX clutch rattle. A fellow in Belgium has oversized rubber isolators that fit over the clutch hub legs that cures the horrendous rattle these things develop over time. A redesign in '81 cured it. This fix is something Honda never anticipated, so it involves grinding off rivets and drilling and tapping for screws to hold in the replacements. Not terrible, but not a slam dunk, either.
IMG_0032.JPG

For some reason, I can't attach images right now, but will as I wrap up these last tasks before Summer.

Safe riding, guys!

Sorry your season is closing so soon. It's just beginning here. I've been riding this past week under threat of storms (rain) but I've been lucky enough to have it dry when I ride.

Getting hotter'n Hades in the garage after about 1-2PM. In another week, a predicted huge high pressure system will dig in and consistent 105-110F afternoon temps will mean 75-80 nightime temps and 85 - 90+ in the garage first thing in morning. (Won't cool down). So, I'm about to hang it up except for short, odd jobs.

So, I have taken care of the significant alternator oil leak. And I'm finishing up the clutch job. Horrible rattle that all the 79/80 models develop. I'll be glad to get rid of that embarrassing noise. Clutch plates look like new. (Machine was well-loved).

I'd post pics, but for some crazy reason, the system refuses to attach .jpg's from my new iPhone into this thread. I can post photos taken with the old one, but not this one. Crazy.

I'll add a couple of shots if/when I figure it out.

It's hot in Phoenix these days. Really hot. Too hot to ride. But, not too hot to begin preparing for putting finishing touches on this CBX road warrior. That "preparation" involves obtaining a few goodies, as is the case for anything worthwhile.

Recall, earlier in this thread that I replaced the factory PLASTIC <!> swingarm bushings used on the '79s with brass ones. A bit of a PIA, I'm now surprised that after only putting 250 miles on it, I've sourced another swingarm.

View attachment IMG_E0180.bmp

This is a Pro-Link arm from an '81 CBX. (It was used in '81/82). I'll be converting it to twin shock and will need to source bushings to accept the smaller '79 arm pivot bolt. But, it's far superior than the stamped steel factory '79 bit. There are better arms out there, but they are big bucks. Heck, by the time I get mounts machined and welded, the bushings machined - plus the cost of the swingarm, this one won't be cheap either, but the cool factor will be there. I'll also need a longer chain as this arm slightly increased in length. (Needed a chain and sprockets anyway) Nobody will notice the new swingarm, but I'll know it's there! That's what matters.

Oh! And I have another set of carbs to go on. I rebuilt my set, but they aren't perfect. Very streetable and runs like a raped ape, but not perfect, especially at idle. I'd be really ticked off if I pulled the carbs again, tweaked on them again, then re-installed and found there were still problems. Pulling carbs on this beast is no picnic. The motor has to be practically removed to do the job.

Sooo, I enlisted the help of a fellow up the road here - what was his name - oh yes, Nixon. He worked his magic on a set I sourced. A few weeks ago these guys came back home and are also waiting their turn when cooler garage temperatures FINALLY get here:

After Mike Nixon!.JPG

So, I have some things to look forward to in a couple of months!