Flip Flop aka Aphrodite

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipFlop

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those who don't know me elsewhere I am known as Aphrodite and have owned many bikes. This Gl1000 is no different than any other bike for me. I buy it I ride it and fix it as needed to work and function. First order is it must make it easier to work on and secondly make it more inexpensive to work on. if it does not do at least one of them it will be fixed to stop and not modded.

I purchased this bike from a member here, he is known as JPWinger. Good guy, and straight up guy. We were two peas in a pod from the get go on the same plane for sure.I rode to Florida where he is now on permanent vacation and picked it up.
0313181735_Film1 (2).jpg
0315181413a_Film1.jpg

When I brought it home tore right into it the night I pulled back into my drive.

0316182326b_Film1-1.jpg

Today so far I have single carbed it, rebuilt the forks, re--er something to the wiring to make it neater, and I have redone the front Pacifico Fairing. The front fairing included filling all the holes due to speakers and stereos and cracks due to bad design. Changed the rear trunk to a 1200 and the rear rack to a 1200 and the ignition to a 1200.

Still waiting on tires, still need to do the timing belts, replace rear shocks (or at least the bushings), service the driveshaft and the rear pumpkin, as well as bleed the brakes and replace the brake fluid. My plans are to go to a DOT 5 brake fluid.

How we are sitting right now:
0415180933a_Film1.jpg
DSCF2092.JPG
0506181729_Film1.jpg

I had a Pacifico Shadow on my '77 GL1000 and loved it. Better wind protection than my GL1800 stock fairing. Didn't like the K&Q seat, though. Shoved me into the shelter all the time. Put a stock seat on it and was much more comfortable.

Installed a 130/90-17 on the rear slightest by 1/2 inch taller with full understanding of the change in gearing however the front is stock size so the Speedo has no change. The main reason I put that much bigger is so I can get the thing on its centerstand. With it installed nothing looks even close to rubbing.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202876#p202876:2e0bfu5b said:
FlipFlop » Sat May 19, 2018 12:17 pm[/url]":2e0bfu5b]
Installed a 130/90-17 on the rear slightest by 1/2 inch taller with full understanding of the change in gearing however the front is stock size so the Speedo has no change. The main reason I put that much bigger is so I can get the thing on its centerstand. With it installed nothing looks even close to rubbing.
I have found that sagged rear springs is the main reason that it becomes difficult to get these bikes on the centre stand. :yes:

I def could see this as truth. I should mention that I replaced the bushings in the shocks also along with adjusted the sag too. I can now put it on its stand in tennis shoes. JP was pulling it on a board I tried it on a piece of plywood and ordered appropriately a set of Shinkos, front and rear. Going Saturday to get plates for it and hoping to ride it Sunday or even Late Saturday after I change out the timing belts.