She Runs! (1956 Chris Craft that is...)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
Since we bought this boat last week, I have made a couple of trips to Cape May to work on the boat. My Wife had to go out of town so the Tag A Long trailer has been my pick up truck! Loaded her down pretty heavy this time. :shock:

13' folding extension ladder, 3 - 100' contractor grade garden hoses, 2 - 100' extension cords, loaded tool box, complete socket kit, circular saw, 3/8" drill, battery operated drill, portable work light, 1 canvas tarp, 2 poly tarps, radio, new 6 volt group 1 battery, and 1 battery charger. When I first headed off with the bike, the trailer tugged back at me for the first time. The Slug sure got a workout!

The knee is still an issue. I can ride as long as I do not attempt to push backwards on my right side. The ride (89 miles one way) was not as comfy as I am used to. Tough getting a good position for my leg without twisting. The highway boards that are mounted outside of my crash bars are in the way now. There is no chance of using them without hurting my knee (they will be up for sale if interested.)

Looks like I will be adding some ATF to the tank of this old girl! The carb needs a cleaning. It is a real cool updraft side mounted carb. Take a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwV5koA1xIg

Now THAT'S a boat and one I can appreciate. But, I can relate to hearing it run. My son recently traded into an Eliminator speedboat (1981) with a fresh 454 and Berklet jet drive. It had issues, electrical/steering/carburetor. It is not one I would enjoy, but it sure is his style. I've been working with him for over a month getting it sorted.

We did on Saturday. Fifteen gallons of gas in less than two hours:
https://youtu.be/z-csCT2FpQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-csCT2 ... e=youtu.be

15 gallons in two hours is only 7.5 gallons per hour. Not bad for a high speed boat (if you afford the gas). Our ferry burned 6 gallons per hour of diesel carrying 400 people at a time. Of course, we were only making 8-10 knots. Speed requires horsepower which requires lots of fuel (gas or diesel).

This little 24' boat only has 105 hp and is expected to burn 4 gallons per hour at speed (12 knots). Here is a good look at one of these engines out of a classic Chris Craft after rebuilding. They are 6 cylinder, inline, flathead engines with a 6 volt electrical system, side mount updraft carb, generator (top) and starter below:

image.php

image.php

105hp... without reduction gearbox (1:1 ratio) and single updraft- that would be a Chris-Craft "KL".

It's a marinized version of the Hercules QXLD. QXD is the engine series, L = long stroke.

3-7/16 x 4-1/8 , 236.7ci, in industrial duty, 190ft-lbs @ 1400rpm, 92hp@3200rpm. Chris-Craft got 105hp because it's running faster, and with raw-water cooling, it's cooling efficiency higher (no fan to spin!).

Hercules Motor Company of Canton, Ohio manufactured gasoline and gaseous-fueled engines, as well as diesel engines for the industrial duty and heavy truck/machinery markets. They acquired truck and industrial giant Hall-Scott, and also manufactured large air-cooled engines of Lycoming design. was in primary competition with Continental and Waukesha, with flathead engines up until the mid '50's. Hercules was acquired by White (same congomeration that swallowed up several truck manufacturers, as well as Minneapolis-Moline and Oliver. They continued making engines under Hercules and Hercules-White names for many years. They're incredibly durable industrial engines, and yes, obscene amounts of torque in very smooth package.

I have one of the "M" series Chris Craft engines in my 'stuff', as well as a somewhat 'special' unit.
Based on the Hercules XJLD 4 x 4-1/2" 339ci, Hercules Factory rating for the JXLD was 272ft-lb @ 1400rpm, 131hp @3200rpm
Chris Craft fitted them up as "ML" with a single carb and direct drive transmission, rated 145hp.
They also offered a version called "MCLR"... also a Hercules JXLD - with reduction drive and dual carbs, advertised (by Chris-Craft) as 175hp.
Mine, instead of a reduction drive transmission and dual carbs, is a direct drive... and FACTORY triples... like a Chris-Craft KBL, but with larger manifold, and larger carbeurators.

I'm not certain HOW it came to be, but I acquired it from someone who acquired it from the owner of the original boat it was BUILT for, and he indicated that it was churning upwards of 220hp.

One thing that WILL help your Chris run nice, if it's been sitting a long time, is to pull the head, manifolds, and valve cover, release all the valve springs, lift out each valve, wire brush it clean, and lap it back in, check EVERY valve spring, replace any that are weak, and then scrub out the chambers and ports, flush the block clean, scrub the tops of the pistons, then reassemble and torque the head. EVERY flathead industrial I 'woke up' from any nap more than three years responded most dramatically to this routine... particularly lapping the valves and replacing weak springs.

If you're interested in 'waking up' your wonderful Chris with a period bruiser, drop me a note... ;-)

Thanks Dave! The KL engine in her was rebuilt a few years back and the boat was in the water running last October. Once I cleaned the plugs and filters and put fresh batteries in her, the engine fired right up! Initial smoke from fogging for storage burned off right away. Each time she starts now, it is clean with no smoke.

Ah, okay... last October is nothing, especially with proper winterization. recent rebuild assures that your springs are good... especially in a herkey (they used exceptionally good springs).

now... well it float? My dad sold his 54 Century Resorter 19 for years ago... original Gray six was replaced by a Chris marinized 61 283 Corvette in '65... (donor boat fire, salvaged engine was fine).

yes, online sixes are torquey. I've got a carefully built Chev six, 250 originally called MerCruiser 165 in my 1970 17' Sea Ray runabout... EFI, high gear ratio and prop, it will quietly run away from big dual engine offshore racer wanna-bees, many bass boats, etc... and most fine believe it's an inline.

We launched the boat today! :party: :eek:k:

Here are all of the pictures and videos...............oops.........my Wife dropped my phone overboard right after taking all the pictures. :shock: :Awe: :cheeky: :fiddle:

:useless:
Or more to the point it didn’t really happen Gerry! :smilie_happy: