Tell me if this is 'normal'...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveKamp

Reaction score
GL1200, 1984 Aspencade. Rolling down country roads in 5th gear. There's an S-curve, about a 35mph curve on most days.

I coast into it, then roll on gently to come out. Yeah, I'm lugging it a bit... down to 1750 indicated on the digital tach.

At that speed, I hear and feel LOTS of tertiary vibration... if it had a primary chain, I'd think mebbie primary drive lash... mebbie the elastomer coupling in the final drive, but could be timing belt tension?

Do you notice a rattling vibration from your 1200 at 1750rpm and up?? :popcorn:

I can't speak for a 1200, but I have an '83 engine in my '82 (different gearing than '82) and I get lower RPM's on the highway. But if I try to throttle up at any speed (except 1st gear from a stop) at 1750 RPM, it will seriously lug my engine. 2500 RPM is just about as low as I can go before downshifting without lugging.

Down shift and bring the RPMs up... or switch to a C5 ignition with a single carb. Even still, I may need to downshift to 4th in that situation on the 87. On the 84, I may be going for 3rd.

My 1100 sounds like the engine is goin to explode when I lug it at lower rpms like that. The 1500 isn't so touchy, but it will also rattle a bit if the rpms are too low for the speed/gear. :yes:

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=203456#p203456:dur2itj1 said:
AApple » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:58 am[/url]":dur2itj1]
My 1100 sounds like the engine is goin to explode when I lug it at lower rpms like that. The 1500 isn't so touchy, but it will also rattle a bit if the rpms are too low for the speed/gear. :yes:

I agree with this one. Even though my '78 "benefits" from Honda's remapping of the torque curve on the 1000, shifting the available torque lower in the RPM range targeted at the touring crowd, it still likes to be spinning above 2500 to 3000 RPM before it really gets comfortable.

The Valkyrie, on the other hand, doesn't really care. Rolling into small towns/villages, if I'm lucky enough not to be snagged by a light or a stop sign, I rarely have to touch the shifter. Come in off 75mph cruising speed in 5th gear (3500'ish RPM) and idle through town at 1500, roll on the throttle on the other end of town and get on with life.

I was marveling at this just this past weekend on an excursion into the mountains. (I do some of my best "marveling" while I'm riding and talking to myself).

I kinda try to avoid talking to myself when I ride... it becomes an argument, and then the gloves come off, and it's not good getting into a fistfight with yourself while being by yourselves on a moving motorcycle. :head bang:

So thanks for the input, guys- I haven't ridden any other 'wings ever, so I don't know how they're supposed to feel... or perhaps better said... I don't know them well enough to know what's correct, vs. 'wrong'.

I haven't noticed the 1200 being 'weak' in terms of low end- as well as it pulls away from a light (even with the #1 cylinder dropping at times, and compensating with the enrichener a smidgen), it doesn't seem uncomfortable containing internal combustion in that first two grand above idle. It just felt like there may have been something in there that was loosey... like... belt tensioner or driveline coupling or something. Actually, it felt like a slightly loose primary chain in a KZ400... without all the racket, oily stink, and fuel petcock dripping onto my left calf.

hi davekamp
my 86 1200 also goes well down to town speed in 5th and up again but only beeing nice and gentle to the throttle and accelerating slowly. otherwise i'll get engine vibrations that tell me the engine dislikes the move. don't do it uphill, just downhill or at a flat place. above aprox. 40mph the 1200 accelerates right and smooth also with full throttle if opening slowly to the max. i just downshift under 40mph.
greez
joebarteam

I don’t have that problem with my 86 but I have been through everything on this bike. I have purposely lugged it in fifth down to 1000 and with steady application of throttle it pulls right back up and then begins to get after it at about 2000 grand. The 1200 ‘s use electronic ignition advance in the first three gears and then converts to ignition adjustment by vacuum in the last two gears. The vacuum line up to the ECM is very important including the y off at the top of the left frame rail, be sure and check real close, I found a split in mine when I went through the rebuild.

Even in low gear uphill steep at low rpm will give a good rattle to almost any 1000,1100,1200. Even my 1500 isn't fond of it.

[...The 1200 ‘s use electronic ignition advance in the first three gears and then converts to ignition adjustment by vacuum in the last two gears. The vacuum line up to the ECM is very important including the y off at the top of the left frame rail said:
Hmmm... this is very interesting... something I did not know. I'll hafta check mine. What's the chances that advance signal is getting it's source from a runner near my #1 carb??

Not 100% certain but I think the port to the vacuum advance is on carb 4. At least on the 84s. I know that is where the 1100s were and the 84 still had ignition where the 1100 does.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203486#p203486:2nqux8hc said:
dan filipi » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:19 am[/url]":2nqux8hc]
Just for accuracy, the vac advance port on 1100 is on the #3 carb.
Thanks for the clarification. I knew it was right rear but keep mixing up the numbers. :blush:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203481#p203481:2zbbs3u8 said:
backlander » June 12th, 2018, 5:52 am[/url]":2zbbs3u8]
...the 84 was part 1100 and part 1200 engine until 85's came out.

Hmmm... so... what was the change that made the difference between 'part 1100' and 'real 1200'??

Rear case and final drive changed in 85 along with ignition location and a few other things changed. 84 was and is a true 1200 it just shared the same rear case and ignition as the 1100.