Coming Out of Retirement....<sigh>

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I tried it, but have decided it's not for me. Not yet anyway. An electrical engineering career that spanned commercial electronics, defense and, finally, medical devices was very good to me. I was comfortable having retired at 59 (a year ago). But, even though I have lots of hobbies, my somewhat younger wife still wants to work and, quite frankly, I was going crazy rattling around the house while she was gone. The Summer makes it worse since I don't even think about going to the garage - even for a screwdriver.

So...I poked around for something "fun" to do for a while and was surprised with the options that became available. The Phoenix Metropolitan Area does offer lots of options. Long story short, I'm going to work for Intel doing Project Management for installations and upgrades to their fab. They have a HUUUGE presence here in Chandler, so the campus is only about 15 minutes away.

I have mixed emotions, but I have decided that I'm really not ready to wind down just yet. I'm still going to miss waking up, getting coffee in underwear, scratching my ass and going to the computer.

But, you guys should be HAPPY! As a working man again, I won't be posting as much!

Tally ho!

Congrats on your decision! Keeping active by doing something fun and having it produce income is great. The problem with hobbies alone is they still have to be funded. :hihihi:

I’m jealous you could retire so young. I’m 55, been an electrician wearing a belt all my life, and looking SOOOO forward to the day I can retire! I’ve pretty much had it with the physical strain every day at work.

AARP TaxAide can always use another volunteer to prepare tax returns, run the preparation site, be a district coordinator, work on the State Management Team, or other efforts as you want. From the simplest to the complex, they can use your experience.

The pay is lousy (none), but the job satisfication is high.

Wish you the best in whatever you do.

I retired in 2007 (age 59) and still don't regret it.

Man's got to know his limitations. Retirement is not for everyone, so good on you for looking at a different path. You will probably post just as much just be in a more condensed time frame. Cheers

Yeah I started a new career after retiring. Retirement didn't cover the bills. Hope you enjoy the new job as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Thanks guys. I have to admit that it's a little unnerving to shift gears after 40 years in the workforce. The shift is that you spend all that time putting money into the kitty and then suddenly find yourself starting to pull it out. Seems unnatural. We most likely would have been OK barring any unforeseen disaster, but it does give just a little peace of mind to defer those withdrawals again for couple of years maybe. (And a little less guilt pampering the old girls in the garage)

I see this as not enough play money for your hobbies Darrell!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
I can’t see retiring any time soon ( Dad is 82 in September and still working more than me ) as apart from the financial constraints your hobbies are only great when you have a job not when they become your job.
Good luck with your new job and wearing pants in the mornings again. :salute:

FYI, my old Boss's Dad retired 3 times, but continued to work. He was still working 3 days a week, driving to work at 105 years old. He didn't fully retire and stop working until 106 and passed at 107. He here is taking a ride with his "Girlfriend" at 105!

image.php

image.php

In an economy with more jobs than applicants, it is very easy to sell experience and proven performance. After 6 months of retirement, I was called back to continue a research project that I thought would already be finished. Hopefully I can knock it out and finish by the end of July, because I looovveed retirement!

I may retire someday, at this time I am 65 and still enjoying my work.... Yes there are mornings that I do not want to get up but once I am there it is okay,,, It is better in the summer time as I can ride to work and arrive there energized for the day. (or night)... I did a career change after 38 years of manufacturing automotive fasteners and went to school to become a nurse.... It is a good job most days....

:laptop:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204180#p204180:a9t67don said:
brianinpa » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:39 pm[/url]":a9t67don]
Thanks for helping to support social security again...

:smilie_happy:

Shoot, I can't even get a piece of the pie for another coupla years!

Yep, I'm about to turn 70.
Every year since 60 I have told the boss I'm finished.
Then I start to think. What am I going to do with an extra 48 hours every week.
That scares the crap out of me.
Other than the mistresses in the shed, I have no hobbies.
Never had the time to learn to play golf or go fishing.
I really look forward to Sundays with my ladies. Any more time with them could ruin it.

Guess I will keep working until they roll me out of the workshop on an ambulance stretcher.

sinner :evil:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204506#p204506:3o1dtr98 said:
sinner » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:31 pm[/url]":3o1dtr98]
Yep, I'm about to turn 70.
Every year since 60 I have told the boss I'm finished.
Then I start to think. What am I going to do with an extra 48 hours every week.
That scares the crap out of me.
Other than the mistresses in the shed, I have no hobbies.
Never had the time to learn to play golf or go fishing.
I really look forward to Sundays with my ladies. Any more time with them could ruin it.

Guess I will keep working until they roll me out of the workshop on an ambulance stretcher.

sinner :evil:
:good: