Fuel pump leak?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ostrich.jpg

Reassembled sans sidecovers. It looks unfinished with them off. Buried the whole engine in a thick, white foam and waiting 15 minutes before I rinse off. I'll take clean photos so I'll have something to compare later photos against.

2/3 of the can, rinse, remaining 1/3, scrub with old toothbrush, rinse, and dry with Shamwow. Good enough for government work.
DSC02319.JPG

DSC02320.JPG

I'll be riding it to work (1/2 hr ride) in the morning.

40 mile round trip to work and it looks like this.
DSC02319.JPG

DSC02320.JPG

As you may already surmise, these are the same pix as above. I didn't see the point in reshooting them, when everything looks the same. :music: I'll be leaving the side covers off until this weekend (no time, no energy). I couldn't be happier. :yahoo: Thank you for your support, Dave

Boy, what a Debbie Downer. :BigGrin: I'll ride it this week and continue to monitor. Then, come the weekend, if it looks the same, my head goes back in the sand where it belongs. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204358#p204358:cbrnds27 said:
D-50Dave » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:00 pm[/url]":cbrnds27]
Boy, what a Debbie Downer. :BigGrin: I'll ride it this week and continue to monitor. Then, come the weekend, if it looks the same, my head goes back in the sand where it belongs. :smilie_happy:
:useless:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204361#p204361:2rcygpgd said:
Ansimp » Yesterday, 7:39 am[/url]":2rcygpgd]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204358#p204358:2rcygpgd said:
D-50Dave » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:00 pm[/url]":2rcygpgd]
:useless:
I'll have to get my wife to take the pic of me with my head in the sand. :smilie_happy:
I will take fresh pictures before covering up. Second day to work and remains perfectly clean. (or at least no dirtier) :blush:

Interesting enough on my trip to the Peters MO Area from Elwood IN was about 377 miles. In that time goings I had oil on my boot, I looked and saw it appeared to have come out of the weep hole on the fuel pump, I wiped it off, got nothing the rest of my stay in MO and riding the back roads with my friends there. ON the way returning home I got another urp of oil on my boot. I wiped and checked appears to came from the same hole again. I am seeking out a kit to rebuild my fuel pump or replace the one with a new or re-manufactured one. I will be avoiding the NOS ones since rubber deteriorates. My engine is kept clean and I don't have that much in the line of covers so if it leaks I see it and get very compelled to fix it. I just found it odd that it only urped 2 times, it must have been on a high acceleration or decelleration that made it get my boot lubed. Side note, I have not had to add a drop of oil nor has my level notably dropped since it has been put back on the road, at about 1500 miles to date now on this oil change. the oil I found on my boot was barely enough to get it wet but since I pay such close attention to all aspects of it I notice everything.

Well, I do believe that I have the smallest of gasket leaks. After about 150 miles this week, I had a single drop of oil on the bottom rear portion of the engine, and a very light filming on the left side behind this gasket.
DSC02320_LI.jpg

I believe I will live with it, as it looks like alotta work to fix. Thank God and Drag Accessories for engine covers. I'll check all those itty bitty bolts for tightness before covering.