Black Beauty project bike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally had a whole day to work on this project bike. Got the head on and able to turn the engine over by hand.
Set the intake and exhaust valves. Hooked up the battery. Pressed the starter button.Would not start. No fuel in lines and carbs.Used some starting fluid. Presto-Started.
This engine runs so smoothly and quiet.

NOW my problem is ( and I did not see it before) The head I replaced off of Flea bay has a broken bolt in the one valve cover hole. Tried to drill with an e-z out. The bolt is to hard for the e-z out to get a grip on it.

Now I have to decide weather I want to pour some money into it or sell it as is.
Needs brake help as the rear caliper is sticking. Rotor is pretty worn. Tires are 12 yrs old. In fact the rear tire valve stem fell apart in my hand when I tried to add air.

Will ride it and see how it goes.
Thanks for all the help you have given me.

For the broken bolt, consider pb blaster on the threads, heating the aluminum with a propane torch, and using a left hand drill bit on the broken bolt. You can use successively larger left hand bits till the bolt is thin enough to unscrew with the torque of the left hand drill bits. This has worked for me in the past.
A nice smooth engine is worth the extra effort and time. A battery drill will go slow enough to bite on the metal of the screw..... Just my 2 cents.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204392#p204392:2brx1qal said:
kerryb » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:25 am[/url]":2brx1qal]
For the broken bolt, consider pb blaster on the threads, heating the aluminum with a propane torch, and using a left hand drill bit on the broken bolt. You can use successively larger left hand bits till the bolt is thin enough to unscrew with the torque of the left hand drill bits. This has worked for me in the past.
A nice smooth engine is worth the extra effort and time. A battery drill will go slow enough to bite on the metal of the screw..... Just my 2 cents.
Good plan here. There is also a product called FreezeOff. Works pretty good on stuck bolts.

All the parts are now on the bike. I drove it around the yard 2 times. Shifts real nice.
Now I can backtrack and fix things.

The headlight does not work.
The rear brake is locked up.
No turn signals.
Front tire is 10 years old.

Not too bad for a project bike, that had a bolt rambling around the left head, when I first got this bike.

Rode the bike 100 miles with sea foam in the oil. Had a rhythmic sound coming out of the valve area. Got home changed the oil.
Took the left valve cover off. One of the springs on the rockers was busted.
This bike really is a project bike.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204892#p204892:1jt8c2if said:
wilcoy02 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:10 am[/url]":1jt8c2if]
Rode the bike 100 miles with sea foam in the oil. Had a rhythmic sound coming out of the valve area. Got home changed the oil.
Took the left valve cover off. One of the springs on the rockers was busted.
This bike really is a project bike.
At least you should have a spare spring!

It is the top left spring. On the left head.
Yes I have an extra spring or two.
I borrowed a spring compressor today. It appears I will have to take the left head off to get the spring off that is broken.
Do I need to change the head gasket again or can I get away with reusing this one?

#2 cylinder intake. Feed some soft rope into the plug hole and crank (by hand) until the piston pushes the rope against the valve. Compress the spring and remove the keepers (I use a magnet on a screwdriver). It's a great time to replace the stem seal, too (they're cheap). Reverse the process with the new spring. That way you don't have to pull the head.

You can practice as you remove springs from the spare head. Use a rag waded under it on the workbench instead of rope in the cylinder.

You can also use air pressure from a compressor to hold the valve seated to change springs and stem seals.

hmmmm should be able to change spring with head on ....just go slow and look for a reason the spring is broke ..make sure valve is moving freely up and down ..broken springs seems rare on oldwings ...

Took the head back off and replaced 2 springs.
Put it back together and rode 30 miles.
This project bike is now a runner. Thanks Dan for the encouragement.

Rode it the last 3 days and has 150 miles on it now.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205245#p205245:1u9v3ufw said:
wilcoy02 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:00 am[/url]":1u9v3ufw]
Took the head back off and replaced 2 springs.
Put it back together and rode 30 miles.
This project bike is now a runner.
Congratulations :good: :salute: