Ballast Resistor

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can not beat the GL1500 coils. Even though I did change the points to e-ignition the coils made all the differance. I paid 35.00 on fleabay for a set of 3 and used only 2 of them and placed the 3rd on the shelf as a just in case. It was well worth it. Just In my opinion.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204492#p204492:1b9lrq5k said:
FlipFlop » Today, 10:35 am[/url]":1b9lrq5k]
You can not beat the GL1500 coils. Even though I did change the points to e-ignition the coils made all the differance. I paid 35.00 on fleabay for a set of 3 and used only 2 of them and placed the 3rd on the shelf as a just in case. It was well worth it. Just In my opinion.

I plan on changing over to E-Ignition, once I am sure I have fixed the problem. Did the 1500 coils work with the E-Ignition or did you need to change them again? Also, going with the 1500 coils, did you need to go to a different spark plug? Thanks again for all your help
Jeff

I have used the 8's and 9's and originally installed it with the points and it ran sweeter from the get go. I did not know I was having any issues. My coils original and that resistor tested out perfectly. Upon installing them it was a wonderful thing. That said the two wires that used to connect to each side of the resistor are not connected together eliminating the need for it with the use of the GL1500 coils. Aftyer I confirmed it running good I then installed the Dyna ignition with plans mayhaps to get the C-5 one later. I was just going for prevention rather than repair on mine but it was a definite improvement.

In short the coils work well on either the points or the E-ignition and eliminates the need for the Ballast resistor. It was frustrating to do and stressful as I was afraid of messing up things, but it is straight forward and not as bad as I was thinking it would be.