'77 Hits The Road Again...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AE6SS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
July 14 was a wonderful morning as I rolled my '77 Wing out of the garage. I bought it from my father-in-law this past January right after New Year's and kept it in my garage to assess all that it needed. It wasn't a basket case, but needed a lot of love. Fortunately, the frame and painted body parts were in fairly good condition. The bike needed a lot of cleanup, some parts replaced, carbs fully overhauled, new ignition, chrome, wheels, tires, etc. Also, the fairing had some deteriorated components needing replacement. It took me about six months with only the ability to work it on weekends... maybe 5 - 6 hours per day. I would like to give a special thanks to Mike Nixon of The Motorcycle Project for the fabulous work he performed in bringing the carburetion up to better than factory specs. All lighting has been converted to LED, including headlamp and running lights. Brake light modulator added.

Took her out on the 14th for a shakedown run that lasted for 148 miles! All needed was an idle speed adjustment during the ride. It was a great showing. Attached is a shot of her at a Starbucks where I made my first rest stop. Thanks for looking.

IMG_0687.jpg

:salute: :clapping: :clapping: :salute:
Congrats on reviving the ol gal!! :yahoo:

Thanks to all for your kind comments. I'm sure all of you know it's a work of love. For me, it's that and the nostalgia of having had the same make, model, color, year back in 1977 when I was "a young buck". :BigGrin:

For any who are not familiar, the bags and trunk are a special version of Samsonite luggage for motorcycles popular in the day before we had all the production model touring bikes. These components are hard to find and seldom in as good a condition as these are.

Steve

Very familiar with those bags. I had been looking for some and just last week was able to secure these. There were two types, the textured version and the smooth-sided version. I can't tell from your photo, but it appears that yours are smooth-sided?

Here are the ones I obtained - also VERY well preserved!

Attachments

• 00o0o_jVaCoScaMUP_1200x900.jpg
    00o0o_jVaCoScaMUP_1200x900.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 118
  • ad2.jpg
    ad2.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 118