Low RPM hisitation

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

It has been a while.
My '82 GL1100A developed low RPM hesitation.
I haven't ridden her for a month and a half (unfortunately it happens a lot to my vintage bikes.)

I put fresh gas at the station and went on to an hour freeway ride. Engine runs okay on higher RPM but now hesitates between 1K~3K RPM.

CORRECTION:
I put a gas from a gas can (probably a month old) and a bit of ATF.

https://youtu.be/ojCEP-ccdKU

What could it be?
I am hoping it is a carb issue not ignition.
I thought high mounted single carb drains fuel from the bowl so there is no need for carb maintenance.
I am totally unfamiliar with Weber carb (don't even remember the model name DFT32?). Is there a how-to for rebuilding/cleaning?

My 1200 had a similar problem, turned out to be the slow jets. You can get new ones on Ebay for about a 2.00..
www.ebay.com/itm/80cc-Motorised-Bike-Pi ... 41d7e6032b

Why you get 5? Don't know but 5 is more than 4.
35 is stock size I tried 40 and they eliminated the need to choke so i put 35 in and the problem was solved.

I recommend getting carb float bowl screws cause if you don't have extra you will need them, I put Allen head on mine (3.00 on Amazon) and get float bowl gaskets cause again if you don't have any you will need them!!

Thanks.
Maybe I didn't state clearly but this is a Weber single carb conversion.

Well, I will look for diagrams and rebuild it then.
Will also drain old gas and take a look at inside the tank.

Yeah mine is not the weber but I would think it could just get good fresh gas and some say "sea foam" and run it for a few hundred miles.
Mine is the Solex and can pull the main and idle jets and reinstall in minutes. Cant say for the Webers. Still think try a cleaner and run it though.

hmmm there use to be a rebuild manual in the teck or single carb sub forum im thinking ....id check plugs first ..if they are bad foulded up some...seems like low rpm is where it would show up

Thanks Joe.

Yes I should check sparkplugs first but I added "leg cooling ducts" (LOL) so they need to be removed (not a big deal.)

middle_1509667257.jpg

1509305153.jpg

1509305150.jpg

You are right about the heat. I do not remember it ever being this hot in July out here. When it does cool down and you get back to the bike give me a shout if you want a second set of eyes to look at it. I am just a stones throw away in Long Beach and would be happy to help.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204867#p204867:1v92urmn said:
indianakid » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:51 am[/url]":1v92urmn]
You are right about the heat. I do not remember it ever being this hot in July out here. When it does cool down and you get back to the bike give me a shout if you want a second set of eyes to look at it. I am just a stones throw away in Long Beach and would be happy to help.

Wow.
Yor are in Long Beach.

Thanks!

Okay.

Finally got around and looked at the carb.
Not sure where accel' pump is but looking down the venturi from the top, I guess I should see some gas sprayed in it, right?
I saw none.

I will remove the carb and rebuild.

CORRECTION:

I was looking at the secondary.
Now I see gas sprayed into the primary so accel pump looks okay.
Should I still rebuild the carb?

Or maybe shoot carb cleaner randomly in the venturi and see what happens?

It’s a pretty simple carb. As long as the top comes off without damaging the gasket, shouldn’t need any parts. It’s new enough that I believe all you’ll need to do is clean the jets and passages. The accel pump diagphram should be fine. In the accelerator feed passage is a check ball, make sure that’s clean and moving.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204966#p204966:21y9utms said:
dan filipi » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:05 am[/url]":21y9utms]
It’s a pretty simple carb. As long as the top comes off without damaging the gasket, shouldn’t need any parts. It’s new enough that I believe all you’ll need to do is clean the jets and passages. The accel pump diagphram should be fine. In the accelerator feed passage is a check ball, make sure that’s clean and moving.

That was my question.
I remember you drilled main jets for me but wasn't paying much attension how to get them.

So just remove six screws (#82) and the top (1) comes off, right?
I can leave the carb in there and just remove the top as you did.

Attachments

• 32-34-DFT-LOGO.jpg
    32-34-DFT-LOGO.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 99
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204970#p204970:8recktb9 said:
FlipFlop » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:44 pm[/url]":8recktb9]
Sea foam and ride it for about 200 miles pr a tank. Why not try it?

That is an option too but 200 miles are a lot of distance in this hot weather.