What would you do?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboy45

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello there all!

I've been debating my self about doing the scc to my wing, I see the videos from member here that have gone scc and get motivated to do so but I want to keep my wing as original as possible. I did the carbs restoration my self and carb #3 its been sweating ever since, it doesn't pour gas it sweats the bowl. Other than that like I mention I would like to keep it stock. What would you guys do? go scc or keep stock with carb bowl sweating issues!

Thanks!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205009#p205009:3e60yanv said:
desertrefugee » 10 minutes ago[/url]":3e60yanv]
... All I can say is that a well-sorted OEM carb rack is hard to beat performance wise.
And that's JoeDrum's cue to ... :smilie_happy:

I’m intrigued at the sweating bowl. And only one. Odd.
In order to sweat, the gas or bowl would have to be cold and meeting the warmer humid air around it. The bowl being cold is odd enough, but just one of them is even more odd.
Curious to read thoughts from others on this.

Here are some pics!
e67a8fe9462008309405ed61d6a4f08b.jpg
92c58205bfef2c51511de6f352d368af.jpg
1bc12aa9844fa9adb3161af4bce466c5.jpg
71fb25b28bee1f613614a02bf42be626.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Possibly - vacuum drawn on the bowl by the engine is sucking fuel in through a restriction (probably float valve) where it expands and the latent heat of vaporization is pulled from the float bowl sides. Would indicate to me a float problem where it is sticking closed and just allowing a little fuel through. I would expect that cylinder to be running extremely lean.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205021#p205021:2ru027wl said:
PurpleGL1200I » Today, 3:15 pm[/url]":2ru027wl]
Still confused as to what liquid is on the outside of the bowl - water or gasoline?
it is gasoline!

That's leakage. It's enough that it's dripping onto the top of the motor. The brown residue down there is dried gas. The carbs should come off and be freshened up. PJ probably nailed it when he mentioned a float issue, but there could be other factors.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205024#p205024:14e8z7dq said:
desertrefugee » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:24 pm[/url]":14e8z7dq]
That's leakage. It's enough that it's dripping onto the top of the motor. The brown residue down there is dried gas. The carbs should come off and be freshened up. PJ probably nailed it when he mentioned a float issue, but there could be other factors.

+1 :eek:k:

I went single because I could never keep the OEM in sync for more than a week or so.

Sounds like you might just have a pinched float bowl O ring.

I'd try that before I went down the road to a single carb.

Cos' it might sound like a simple fix, but it gets real complicated. :Awe:

Funny you mention sync troubles, Chili D. The rack on my '78 is solid as a rock. I synched them with my Carbtune after the overhaul four years ago. I've attached the Carbtune several times since then, but they're always pretty much spot on. I was most surprised to find them still very well synched even after being off the bike and on the shelf for 6 months recently while I got the Dual Weber madness out of my system. I guess I just got a well-behaved rack.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205030#p205030:3dm823go said:
desertrefugee » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:00 am[/url]":3dm823go]
Funny you mention sync troubles, Chili D. The rack is solid ... I guess I just got a well-behaved rack.

That's what she said! :smilie_happy:

Sweating on the outside of the carbeurator, is usually the result of gasoline leaking THROUGH the aluminum.

it's a die cast part. Castings are naturally porous, and exposure to non-gasoline will frequently 'etch' a pathway into some porous spot, which allows the thinner compounds of a fuel blend to find an easy path through.

Why would it happen? In the die casting process, metal is melted, and then injected under hydraulic pressure into a mold. If there's some sort of contamination in the process (typically, it's in powdered form, and frequently, carbon soot from oil vapors), it'll get impregnated into the casting. It'll be fine for a long time, but eventually, exposure to a variety of things will cause the contaminant to disperse. Ethanol is great at facilitating things like this, but ANYTHING will do it eventually...

And you have a 'sweaty bowl'...

The first thing I'd do, is look for a replacement bowl and put that on... with a new gasket.

i would like to see performance diagrams (dyno?) that show horsepower and torque from a standard carb 1200 oldwing, a injection one like the ltd or a sei and one well running scc oldwing. i wonder what we'd see. i think the oem carb oldwing wins.
greez