What have I done!? CBX !!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been following that, Greg. Real bummer. I hammered on this one pretty good for 250 miles. I'm pretty confident that I can go after fun stuff and won't <knock wood> be opening cases for a while. I guess the good news is that you have all Winter to deal with it...and those stairs!

Still hot in Phoenix, but we're on the down hill run toward Fall. Some important bits are on the way to convert my recently-acquired Pro-Link swingarm to '79 Z dual shock configuration.

The fun continues soon...

Important Bits.jpg

And another day closer to death. But, today was a good day. My son's Baja buddy (the aluminum welding wizard) got the Pro-Link swingarm shock mounts on today. Took him about 20 minutes. Sort of anticlimactic, really.

So, the only thing holding me up now is a 530 chain. (This arm is longer and now gives me an excuse to get rid of the 630 boat anchor chain).

Time to get after it!

Welding.jpg

Done.jpg

Wow it had a 630 on there from stock? I am sure the 530 is plenty enough my Blackbird had that stock. Heck I know a few that even put 520 on there, insane I think but none the less. So much fun when things comes together.

Just to get up-to-date, this is what a custom CBX looks like after it's had the living daylights flogged out of it. Just got back an hour ago. After resolving fuel flow issues (Pingel/filter/line slope), she goes like stink.

Just back from a 110 mile loop south out of the Metro area. Maricopa/Florence/Sacaton. Mostly open road, but a fair bit of urban stoplight dancing. Happy camper here. As with the GL, carburetors out of synch cause unseemly noises from the motor - but with the CBX, the noise comes from the clutch and not the primary chain. This baby just hums now. Still sounds busy, but not like a blender with gravel in it any more. Sheesh, my original set "rebuild' must have been crummier than I thought.

Genuine kudos to Mike Nixon. I think that guy knows what he's doing... :yahoo:

Attachments

• OutandAbout.JPG
    OutandAbout.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 82
very nice find, buddy of mine had one. took it for a ride a couple times and you couldn't wipe the smile off my face or get the cheeks of my butt to loosen up when I brought it back, definetely a runner for sure :good: :good: :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208146#p208146:1hnz9pr3 said:
joedrum » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:37 am[/url]":1hnz9pr3]
Nothing like getting the carbs working right ....better keep this bike running a lot to keep it fresh and maybe atf mixed in gas all the time

THAT is very good advice. The ceremony surrounding pulling these monsters is enough to really discourage you from wanting to do it very often. ( although it was definitely easier the second time… ). I am going to do that!

One last note. It’s been a while since I had a machine that needs to rev like this one. Up to about 6 grand it’s pretty boring. On the high side of 6k, you’re loving life.

Moral? Stay deep on the throttle. Enjoy life.

And wear earplugs.

Good to see Mike is still doing great work. Now you get to have even more fun. :good: :moped: :salute:

Really interesting following along with your postings on the CBX. Learned a lot. Bike looks great! Nice work.

I have a '77 oldwing and sent my carb cluster to Mike Nixon last spring. What a good decision that was! He really made them like new again. Can't say enough good things about Mike's work and expertise. He's a valuable resource. [Thanks again, Mike!]

:salute:

Steve

Thanks for all the interest and moral support. This has been a fun project. And rewarding. Went for a putt (150 mile loop) with some friends yesterday and the bike ran flawlessly. I believe I'll need to revisit the clutch. Needs a refresh. I observed wear on the friction plates when I did the basket (rattle) fix, but being the cheapskate I am, I figured I'd get more mileage out of them.

Yeah. About 600 miles. Sheesh.

Speaking of which, since we can edit old posts now, I was able to attach images to post #77 which dealt with the alternator oil leak and overhaul and the clutch rattle fix.

We unexpectedly encountered a rather large car show in Casa Grande. A number of folks there commented that I should have entered the Angry X!
IMG_0577.jpg

Well, I’m at again. CBX carburetors, that is. These things gum up if you look at them sideways - and whether there’s treated fuel in them or not, it seems. The ole girl is on the table.
14A27278-88C6-474E-84DE-9ABA14909EA8.jpeg

I just went through an ordeal with the Vmax carbs and figured while I was on a roll, I’d do the CBX as well. It was just a little off last season, but is idling like crap now.

I’m going in. Again. :swoon:

By the way, I put this sticker on my tool box some years ago. I meant it then. Now I’m not so sure...
EF192C52-6FEB-4C86-93A9-34A267CA646F.jpeg

Meanwhile, the 78 GL just runs. All I do is ride it!