New owner of '81 GL 1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vadim

Reaction score
Good day, fellas, I am a new member in this community. Just got my second motorcycle and it is a '81 GoldWing 1100 (will make a better pic little later).
As a rookie rider wanted to ask for some advise from more experienced riders and owners of GLs.
Would appreciate any info sources on what needs to be done first of all - like flushing all the fluids and changing timing belts or so...
Thanks in advance :thank_you:

Attachments

• 81_GL_1100.jpg
    81_GL_1100.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 111
The very first thing is to change the timing belts. unless you know they have been replaced. Put the date and mileage on the cover for future reference.

I have bought 2 different GL1100 an 82 black and 83 brown in the last year. Here are the links to what I did to each bike. They both run really well now.

viewtopic.php?f=123&t=13115

viewtopic.php?f=123&t=10972

I've had my '81 for 29 years. Fluids, timing belt, brake pads (I'm a huge fan of stopping) and start riding. As you get to know it, you'll probably need to address little things, but it'll go as long as you want to. Also, check that the radiator fan comes on when the heat builds up. My thermostat opens at the "bottom" of the operating range and the fan is on by "12 noon". Set up right, these years run nice and cool. Enjoy!

Welcome from Oz.
Get some real experience with some decent road craft (preferably professional tuition) and then ride her hard as the Rats Nest loves it ( or I do at least). :yes:

Welcome from the beautiful Northwest! Great looking bike there, as you've already been told, change those timing belts, flush the fluids, and ride, ride, ride!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk