the Hunley, or pidjones needed a project - '78 frame with '75 engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put about 40 miles on her today before it got too hot and the thunderstorms rolled in. Rode over Norris Dam and back. She ran fine. Still need front brake improvement, and tires! Still, she feels very confident in turns. Need to find out how to adjust the damping of these Progressive rear shocks. Riding almost like a hard tail. I back off the spring load, but I don't think it will soften the ride any. I might just be spoiled by the GL1800 (which is much heavier) ride.

The right side is still much louder than the left, and I think I've figured out why! Back in 2013, when I first started work on it, I had to file on the right side head and block both to get them flat. I don't know how much I removed but it may have been as much as 5 thou (total). Could this have increased the compression on that side? I know that my compression testing a while back showed #1 to be 20 psi higher than the other cylinders.

Loaded up the Hunley and took it to Stearns, Kentucky to the Moonshiner's Run Car Show. Had a great time, met some wonderful folks, and talked to a lot of them about the Hunley. Next up is new lower brake lines and new tires, so I can get some riding in this fall!

Attachments

• With pinups.jpg
    With pinups.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 119
Well, the wheels and new tires are on and the new lower brake lines also. Bleeding the front brakes I noticed fluid on the plastic that I had put over the shelter (glad I did). Coming from the master cylinder around the push rod. Went ahead and ordered a new China el-cheapo and it is on the slow boat (uh, I mean China Post). So, with things a bit on hold and monsoons rolling through the rain forests of East Tennessee, I decided to check on engine things. Ohmed plug wires #1 to #2 is 25.2 kOhms and #3 to #4 is 25.8 kOhms. # 2 plug looks awful - I don't see how it could fire there is so much wet black (gas smelling) on it.

I then did a (cold) compression test which was really confusing.

Remember now, #1 and 3 cylinders had been discovered with bad rust that I scraped off with razor blades. #2 and 4 looked fairly good. #1 and 3 first compression tests were bad and #2 and 4 were Ok. Well, NOW #1 and 3 are 180 psi! BUT!!!! #2 and 4 are down to 120!!!???

So, I am suspecting (hoping) that I've missed a tooth on the left cam belt. Would explain a lot of things like fuel economy, difficulty in getting it timed, difficulty in balancing carbs. Oh, replaced the carb 2-4 balance screw today as the old one seemed maybe stripped.

So, left belt cover comes off tomorrow and (hopefully) correct that issue, then redo static time, valve lash, fire it up and do strobe timing followed by carb balance. Don't mind that work - a lot better than thinking about one bank running 60 psi lower than the other.

Well, I'm happy. :Egyptian: Removed the left belt cover (ratchet head 10mm wrenches are a blessing) and indeed the belt was off by one tooth. Corrected that and readjusted left side valves. #2 and #4 compression is now 155 and 175 psi! After a bite of lunch (wife is cooking catfish), I will reset static time, put the clear timing hole plug in, and take her outside for strobe timing and carb re-balancing. Woho! Maybe she will be too loud out both sides now!

We have much better idle and throttle response now. Retimed (static - checked with strobe and was spot-on) and balanced carbs. Made some spools out of some scrap aluminum slugs I had and tried out the Harbor Freight stand I'd picked up a few months ago. Makes it muck nicer for working on. The spools are mounted to longer lower shock bolts. I have allen heads on order that I'll counter sink into the spools.
735b2944649ec59a670ad70c4220ae27.jpg

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

Every time I ride her she gets better, now. Today it was brakes feeling much better. It still feel so light compared to the 1800 I've ridden for the past 12 years. Took another run over Norris Dam (a little less than 50 mile loop) and stopped for photos.
a102b29a82145708dafad6ecf69e1800.jpg
6a538be478a8855843e651ca2f5088fa.jpg

Shazbot! Took her out for a Sunday ride. Started blowing headlight fuses, so headed back home after only 20 miles. Coming down our steep, concrete, tree shaded drive, all traction decided to leave and I stuck her in the woods near the bottom. Pulled her out with the winch on the wife's mule and soft straps. Looks like I get to touch up the barbeque paint on the headers and re-polish the right valve cover and belt cover. And, find the short in the headlight circuit. I suspected no headlight when I saw the voltage about .5 higher than normal.
664ce1eeaa8cdfe631f82514d16e04ac.jpg
ceaf03ee3c3f3339e2f4ffe0d058cfdb.jpg
609f1432a6b137220282ac088426f657.jpg

Thanks, guys. I wasn't hurt at all, and after looking her over close (and hosing her off) I think that all that will be needed is a touch-up of the exhaust headers. I'll just shove some cardboard behind them and mask off the engine parts. I may have a sore butt cheek in the morning, but not feeling any ill effects now. Think I may pick up a bag of play sand at Lowe's on my way back from getting new tires put on the daughter's car tomorrow. I slid about 3/4 of the way down the drive, amazed that I kept her up as long as I did and probably only fully lost her when the front wheel got off the road. The scrapes on the concrete appear to be from the footpeg slider and the headers. VERY little abrasion to the valve cover (that already had marks from a previous owner).

Working the big crowd at WingDing 40 in Knoxville. I was honored to put the Hunley (far back right) in Pistol Pete's display of GL1000s. This group includes serial # GL100000002 - the oldest in America, along with 40 and 104. Also a supercharged '75 and several others. He wanted the Hunley as an example of how bad they can be and still be rescued.
0060db6366da3badbac4ed46d564447b.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205720#p205720:1d0va96p said:
pidjones » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:43 pm[/url]":1d0va96p]
Working the big crowd at WingDing 40 in Knoxville. I was honored to put the Hunley (far back right) in Pistol Pete's display of GL1000s. This group includes serial # GL100000002 - the oldest in America, along with 40 and 104. Also a supercharged '75 and several others. He wanted the Hunley as an example of how bad they can be and still be rescued.
0060db6366da3badbac4ed46d564447b.jpg
:good: :salute: