SCC Update

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmyoch

Reaction score
After a much longer extended period of time off the project, I dove in again. The new manifold and brand new 34 Pict is installed. Only after a few cranks, she fired up and seemed to run fantastic. It sounded very smooth through the rev range. I had smoke out of the left side tail pipe which I assume is oil from sitting on the side stand for almost a year. I took it for a quick run down the street and although it pulls good, it feels like it is running slightly rich. I need to research this carb again to see if there is an air/fuel mixture screw I can mess with to lean it out a bit and see if that helps. Otherwise, I'm happier so far.

After the bike was warmed up, I noticed condensation in the carb body. Would anyone know what this would be from?? Any other adjustments you can think that I could possibly need? I'm itching badly to take her out for a run now. :yahoo:

Attachments

• Pict moisture.jpg
    Pict moisture.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 155
That’s a fuel vapor/mist. Common to see that after the engine stops, at least in my experience, but check to make sure raw fuel isn’t trickling in over into the throat and engine. Could be a sign float/fuel level is too high in the bowl. Mine would do that most often when putting it on the side stand after shutting it down.

It was on the side stand idling when I first startex it and warmed it up. So this is somewhat normal? Did you do much fine tuning on yours to get the mixture and performance correct? Also, i dont have an air filter element yet, will that change performance before adjusting?

I just looked up my old post when I purchased this carb and the jets are 127 main, 70 air bleed, and a 55 pilot jet the way it sits right now.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205727#p205727:16xegkaz said:
dan filipi » 10 minutes ago[/url]":16xegkaz]
So far I've been happy with the Solex, though I do miss the power punch of the Weber 2 barrel. For general highway cruising, the Solex has done well.

How is performance with slow cruising through the country and stop and go traffic?

Well torque wise start outs, it has plenty. Rpm can be lower than with stock carbs. With the improved torque, I feel it makes the bike more enjoyable to ride. Don’t need to shift as much, and in turns it pulls out nice. Really have to experience the torque increase to appreciate it.

My sons Ducati V4, compared to his last BMW in-line 4 is much the same way. Torque is phenomenal and improves the ride enjoyment, and found out yesterday, gives him the edge over other bikes with their power coming on at higher revs.
By no means am I comparing a Goldwing with a Ducati V4. That would be plain stupid, I doubt even a supercharged 6 cylinder GW would stand a chance, let alone a 4 cylinder. It’s just my observation regarding the improved torque running a single, non-vacuum operated, carb.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205731#p205731:g5mfajzv said:
dan filipi » 15 minutes ago[/url]":g5mfajzv]
Well torque wise start outs, it has plenty. Rpm can be lower than with stock carbs. With the improved torque, I feel it makes the bike more enjoyable to ride. Don’t need to shift as much, and in turns it pulls out nice. Really have to experience the torque increase to appreciate it.

My sons Ducati V4, compared to his last BMW in-line 4 is much the same way. Torque is phenomenal and improves the ride enjoyment, and found out yesterday, gives him the edge over other bikes with their power coming on at higher revs.
By no means am I comparing a Goldwing with a Ducati V4. That would be plain stupid, I doubt even a supercharged 6 cylinder GW would stand a chance, let alone a 4 cylinder. It’s just my observation regarding the improved torque running a single, non-vacuum operated, carb.

Thank you very much for the input. I am going to search online today for your jetting combination and get these ordered for my carb.

A quick search of the internet for these jets is not as easy as I thought. A few sites do not have some of these sizes. You mind me asking where you purchased your jets from?

hmmmm yes the torque in a non cv type carb is instant over stock cv carb set up ...as dan said the weber progressive two barrels can have much more power than a solex single barrel ..but most find them really hard to dial in right ...the sweating is condensation collecting on the cold surface of the carb as making gas charge causes temp drop...some add heat to stop this ..personally on my weber set up i promote cold charge as my manifold is all custom made and the runners are insulated from the hot head heat ...this makes huge power ...problem with heat in the runners path to heads is it can turn the gas charge going to motor back into raw gas in my opinion ....good luck with your set up ..you can always sodder up the jets and drill to the size you want ...i never bought jets on my set up to expensive for me LOL

I've never drilled jets before. I assume this is not an overly complicated process?

It’s pretty simple. Slight amount of flux on the hole in the jet, heat the jet and tap the solder to fill it. Drilling takes patience. Rush or push the tiny bit and it’ll break.

i always drill by hand ...using no pressure at all ...the biggest deal is having the micro bits to do it ...some have fat ends that work as a handle to hold in your hand ...using twisting action back and forth and drilling upside down like so filling fall out seemed to me the best method

I apologize up front for all the questions so far and what will be coming. The pilot jet is the one with the imbedded ball bearing in it, mine's a 55. how were you able to modify that to work for you?