GL1500 Speedometer and tach sticking at 0 upon startup

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_Charlton

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1984 GL1200I
1988 GL1500
Sometimes the tach and speedometer stick at zero on startup. The speedo is most apt to stick after using reverse. The cable is working fine. Tapping on the face of the speedometer after getting moving results in the speedometer working.

The tach may also stick until you tap on the glass and then it works fine.

The question is: Has anyone taken these instruments out, cleaned them, and sucessfuly cured this problem?

Thanks

Attachments

• Big Banana.jpg
    Big Banana.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 108
I had this issue on my Silverwing I ended up cutting the band off and taking them apart and cleaning and lubing them. I did get some good results on the speed o buy putting a few drops in through the cable attachment. Be careful too much it will end up on the inside glass. Soo only a few drops at a time of something of a liquid lubricant not WD40.

If it is like the GL1000 speedo, you can disassemble to the point that a crimp band holds the to case halves together. Then VERY carefully ~1/64" at a time work a screwdriver to bend the back side of the band part-way out, making two laps around to get it loose. A shot of silicone spray will soften the old grease and lubricate for the future. Make sure you don't get the spray on the face or lens. Clean the inside of the lens and apply you favorite anti-fog. Hold the cases back together with ratchet clamps (cheap @ Harbor Freight) and re-crimp the band with pliers.