New Battery - Gas Mileage Increase??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
I have been riding the Slug again as my knees are healing. :yahoo:

Last month, I had to replace my AGM battery that failed after only less than 18 months service. Granted, I left it out all winter under cover and did not have it on a charger (never did before), but that battery never seemed to have the punch my previous AGM had (same brand and model). I had also noticed last year my gas mileage was averaging 35 MPG whether local or on trips (Went to Kingston, NY previous summer).

Since installing this new battery, my voltage is staying up at 14.5 VDC at speed and can reach 15.1 VDC at lower RPM. (Voltmeter on handlebars reading from main circuit from battery via a relay. +/- 1.5 VDC accuracy) The lower RPM reading is if I am floating in traffic in second gear at 3500 RPM. Lower RPM, but above 3000 RPM seems to be where the stator can really keep up. Higher RPM draws more power for the ignition system and lowers the voltage reading. 14.5 VDC is actually a correct voltage at speed.

What I have really noticed in the last two weeks, even though it is still blazing hot and humid, my gas mileage has increased to 42 MPG average again. In NJ, the gas still has ethanol in it so no change there, plus my riding style and cargo load has not changed at all. The only change is the new battery.

Thoughts?

Simple really,

The proper alignment of electrons going to (and from) the battery, is causing a decrease in vehicle magnetic weight (think gravity) directly impacting the drag coefficient of the slashenburg device.

That is, if you have a slashenburg device.. Beyond that, I’m going to go with it’s getting a better spark.

I am going with yay on better fuel, however really check the VR connections 14.5volts is really the max before it cooks the battery. My VR is the stock type and has the plug removed just like we do with the rectifier. If you unplug the VR you will get similar results to what you got so just to be sure double check it out. :music:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205846#p205846:2rs9t2pt said:
dan filipi » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:09 pm[/url]":2rs9t2pt]
Simple really,

The proper alignment of electrons going to (and from) the battery, is causing a decrease in vehicle magnetic weight (think gravity) directly impacting the drag coefficient of the slashenburg device.

That is, if you have a slashenburg device.

My BS indicator just imploded!!