How do you remove cotter key?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My rear brake pedal is sticking down on my 1100. I was going to take the pedal off to clean it up.

HOW DO YOU GET THAT COTTER PIN OUT?

I sprayed liquid wrench on it, took the battery brkt out, and removed the worthless black bottle.

Any help!!

I have to assume you have straightened out the two ends? If it is rusted/corroded in the tiny hole there, the only thing to do it soak it down best you can, and let it sit for a while. IF you can get some pliers on the rounded(closed) end, try twisting back/forth a little at a time, and then pulling if it loosens up. :builder:

Fight it until it submits. Whatever works. There is no alternative. One of the benefits of living in a dry climate is the nearly total absence of corrosion. Still, there are occasional stubborn bits that help expand one's vocabulary.

Try vice grips or needle nose pliers and leverage against a frame member.

Well 6 hrs later-the key has been removed. vice grips would not fit, needle nose could not get the right angle, but a long nail ground to a razor shape finally got it off.

2 hours later and I am still trying to get the pedal off the frame. I think the spring is holding it on but I can not get the spring off.
I have gotten to the point of a piece of wood and a sledge hammer. to no avail. I can only get it about 1/2 off.

This 20 min maintenance has turned into a day of frustration.

Does the pedal actually come off???

Spray pb blaster on the inside of the pivot. Then push the pedal back on and soak it on the outside end again wait a bit and try it again while moving the pedal up and down.

Not familiar with the pedal removal but I'd think the spring would keep it in a bind until removed. That said I can't offer anymore, since I can't see it. Good luck

After 11 hours of dealing with this pedal, It is all back together . Now works like it should.
Will change the brake fluid tomorrow. I figure the fluid got hot or boiled with the brake sticking

Did use a lot of your info-THANKS

That's one reason maintenance is important. If it looks like it was never taken apart, take it apart, you might save yourself lots of problems. When I buy a used bike, I spend time taking apart anything that should slide, turn or spin, and make sure they are free and working like they should. Bearings, levers and calipers are usually the ones that cause problems if not maintained.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205884#p205884:vglrb1t5 said:
desertrefugee » September 9th, 2018, 2:36 pm[/url]":vglrb1t5]
Fight it until it submits. Whatever works. There is no alternative. One of the benefits of living in a dry climate is the nearly total absence of corrosion. Still, there are occasional stubborn bits that help expand one's vocabulary.

"Expands one's vocabulary".

I sometimes need vice grips on my lips.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205900#p205900:1oib25ds said:
wedoo2 » Yesterday, 8:34 am[/url]":1oib25ds]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205884#p205884:1oib25ds said:
desertrefugee » September 9th, 2018, 2:36 pm[/url]":1oib25ds]
... bits that help expand one's vocabulary.

"Expands one's vocabulary".

I sometimes need vice grips on my lips.
Ouch! :shock: