found a new project for my wing.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtop

Reaction score
This is from a Woolsey. model unknown. picked it up at a scrap yard for 40 pound's. it's going to be my new rad shroud.
The fit is not bad and some mild fabrication of brackets and I'm done. I'll post the results. the name badge is missing and it appeared to be back lit on the original. I'll see what takes shape for that. it's not bright and shiny but very original. I'm not going to rechrome. I prefer to oily rag look.
32533309ffdb486a40818f0eca5f7159.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ok. here's the plan. The old wire rad cover and the wings are coming off together with both the mounting brackets for the wire mesh. These are being kept should the next owner want it back to stock.
The mounts that did hold the wings will be used to hold a new bracket fabricated to join the new rad cover to the wings mounts on the sides of the rad.
Just looking quickly the clearance for the suspension is good . the front brake lines are a small issue as I have twin brake lines from the master to the cylinders. I suspect that I will have to look at rerouting wider perhaps close to the front indicators. I have plenty of slack in the lines.
I'll post the first mocked up picture tonorrow showing it's intended area .
I also take a few of the new rad cover original mounts.
the end goal is that I leave all the original mounts on the bike and also the new rad.
I don't like destroying originality.
I can already see the feed for the light I mentioned as the bike already runs without a side light in the head lamp. it's not required here in the UK for legal purposes. the lamp holder is tucked away and I moved it into it's approx position and it seemed to work.
see you all tomorrow.

This is the actual rad cover in approx the position. you can see the mounting points on its original back area. these are the ones I intend to use.
c4dfe258ecfb4ffd4c201f899613eae2.jpg
a4d8faba1327f69235a64553bb3331a8.jpg
404fd36d0d8f0b18c0adcae1b8ca39c0.jpg
2cbdc3edd2be22975a5fb5207173d234.jpg
69ac4021c1286840561c2e3bde797fb2.jpg

ok. top bracket attached. I broke my rules sort of straight away. I've removed the capture bolts that used to hold the top of the mesh screen. one broke in half when I removed the bolt.
I've decided to bend over the top bracket so it will attach to the top of the new cover. unfortunately I've had to drill two new holes in the rad cover. to accept the original holes in the top mount plate.
in removing the very rusty wire mesh I've found one of the bottom rad bolts has rusted clean through. I now have to resecure the bottom of the rad.
my remaining mounting points are on the side of the rad cover, no where near any original mount point.
I have spotted a mount point on the engine bars that will work.
it's ridged and I can fabricate a bracket to join this point to the rad cover.
I need to paint the brackets but I'll take some pictures of the new mounting points bedorehand and post them tomorrow or the day after. I'll also post some close ups of the rad cover in position.
with all the broken bolts and mounts I can now see why the old one needed to go.
see you all soon.