Ahhh yes, the R&R from HELL. GL1500 Clutch hose.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not done yet, taking a break, resisting the urge to %#@*?!. I'm waiting for Janet to get home so I can use the cager to go get a cheapo flashlight because mine is packed and I have no desire to look for it right now.

I read up on the repair though there is precious little in the forums from google links. I had planned to just trace the route with yellow nylon cord, but the hose got stuck and after one tug too many the hose broke at the weak spot where the leak was(looked corroded?) located. It's out.

So far, I'm having no luck without a flashlight. I do have several ideas involving... nevermind, I get embarrassingly primitive when making repairs.

:useless: Right?

This is where I was when I realized I was on THE WRONG SIDE OF THE BIKE! :head bang:

image.php

I was still fairly confident at this point. Then my knuckle dragging ways broke the hose.

image.php

I miss the old days with Old Girlfriend when everything was super easy like adjusting the valves. :crying:

More to come.

~O~

Push Play...

It's done :yes:

After at least 100 tries in and out, in and out, the hose went a little further. It had done this several times but down in the wrong direction. This time though when I looked in the wrong spot it wasn't there. I looked up and to my utter dismay, the blue duct tape on the banjo was wedged under the left handle bar! I attached the top end, carefully man-handled the metal tubing within a 1/2" of the original tubing and attached the rear banjo.

I put her back together minus the alternator and tragedy struck :swoon: The end of the condenser mounted to the top of the alternator broke clean off. I almost panicked but with a Joe Drum work-around in mind, and Jerry's tenacity I headed off to O'Reilly's and asked for a generic condenser. With some pliers to change the orientation of the mounting bracket and tin snips to make more room for the ground bolt and to the wire end(the original had a + metal bracket instead of a wire) it was installed having no idea if it would work.

It did. :yahoo: Alt is charging normally. As for the clutch, it works but not like it should. The bleed isn't right and I had good flow at the bleeder :? I can get into and out of neutral and shift gears. This will do to get her to the new house where I can take time in MY garage to fiddle with it.

Once again, this site has given me the courage and basic skillz to complete one of the most daunting tasks I've ever undertook. Really, adjusting the valves on your 1000/1100 are a sinch compared to this repair.

:Egyptian:

~O~

Good for you O-man. They don't make it easy, do they. Your clutch action might improve with lashing the clutch lever to the grip, overnight. Don't know how it worked, but it improved the action of mine when I replaced the line. Just a thought....