the Hunley, or pidjones needed a project - '78 frame with '75 engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that was a waste. Waited 45 minutes for him, then his pit bull started to circle and I decided that the place was too poorly kept to yield anything I wanted.
Would you guys toss me out if I got a 79 CB750F? There is one nearby that looks like a good Rat Rod candidate.

Attachments

• Home4.jpg
    Home4.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Stator before.jpg
    Stator before.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Rotor before.jpg
    Rotor before.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 136
I thought you said that you were buying a CB750 not a new anchor for Gerry’s boat! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206037#p206037:d3e5gp8y said:
Ansimp » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:14 pm[/url]":d3e5gp8y]
I thought you said that you were buying a CB750 not a new anchor for Gerry’s boat! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
:smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206055#p206055:39j86yid said:
pidjones » Today, 2:08 pm[/url]":39j86yid]
I sure hope that I'm never this kind of P.O:

Anybody? Bueller?
file.php
The filter is probably clean and reusable :smilie_happy:

Rednaxs60":vyfsesmh said:
Shouldn't the spring be on the other side of the cartridge filter?
And we have a winner. And yes, it should be clean dince it was effectively bypassed by this. Surprisingly, the oik pressure light soon went out while cranking to do the compression testing.

Well, this may even be worse than the Hunley. Some bright "mechanic" replaced the forks with Kawasaki KZ750H (LTD) leading axle forks that give it about 2" trail. Oh, and they are 36mm forks in Honda's 35mm triples. They just stretched the clamps out. So luckily, I had an extra set of GL1000 forks that are ratty looking but Ok in the seal area. Ebay for a set of GL1000 triples and axle. Also the original bike used the same calipers as a GL1000, so I have some spare parts.

Shims (it uses bucket-anf-shim valve adjustment) still need swapped, but even with valves out-of-spec the compression is fairly good.

I've been rolling the tank with over a gallon of Evapo-rust in it to clean it up after an acetone soak to get the varnish out.

It's going to be fun figuring out how to meld the CB750F instruments with the GL1000 upper triple.

Fork dust seals came today as well as some nifty-looking red brake lines from China. Front forks are mounted with 200 cc each ATF.

Maybe the humidity will get low enough forme to consider repainting the Hunley's side covers soon. I need a break from these carbs! Kehiens, and worse than the ones on a GL1000! Air cut on EACH CARB! I'm going to disable the air cuts, set the pilots 1/2 turn beyond factory, and let it backfire a little. So far I've spent four days cleaning carbs and only have one finished.

I've also found that all four had the floats set to ~25mm (supposed to be 15.5mm) and none level. Suspected to be trying to fix flooding. #1 had very rough float seat that I lapped with jeweler's rouge and a mandrel made from a spring-loaded center punch tip. I can leak check these individually with 91% isopropyl alcohol, an advantage over the GL1000 set.

750s carbs are back together, leak tested, and installed. Front end replaced with left-overs from the Hunley. Brakes finally rebuilt and bled. Nearing attempt to start.

Hunley tins are repainted (color 2 coats over original color and clear after wet sanding some boo boos.) Next will be rattle-can 2K clear coat. Hoping for good weather in a couple weeks for just one day!

Hunley update time. She's been resting quietly in the "family room" side of the basement for over a month. Today I backed her outside, fired her up and turned off the petcock to run as much fuel as possible out of the system. When she finally died, disconnected all fuel lines and drained the float bowls. Topped of the tank with treated, real 100% gasoline. After airing out a while, rolled her into the garage and removed the carbs for a winter servicing. She'll go back into the family room tomorrow.
WP_20181106_16_43_37_Pro.jpg
WP_20181106_16_43_51_Pro.jpg