rear brake staying on

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Chick

Reaction score
my 82 aspencade has brake issues. when you use the bake brake a few times it sticks. i just got it so i dont know much about it. i dont know if they put the wrong fluid in or if its something else. if anyone has any ideas please let me know. thanx!

the return hole in the master cylinder is pluged or an bad line that has blockake o the way back from brake release ....not a hige problem but one that take some doing to get cleaned and working right :mrgreen:

You might check the pads to see if they are woren out.. some times near the end of their life the pistons are pushed out so far they tend to stick. also check to make sure the peddle is not sticking you might put some oil on the pivit ...just a thought :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

Hello and welcome to the site, your brake caliper is not releasing, there are three things I'd check out, first, sometimes the lines get a clog in them, second there is a small return port hole in the master cylinder that Joe's speaking of, if that tiny hole gets clogged up it needs to be cleaned out with a very small wire..It's under the plastic connection that the rubber hose fastens too.. Third, I'd check to make sure your brake pedel arm is moving freely, sometimes they stick..I think these brakes on the 82's are linked brakes so the right side of the front brake works with the rear brake at the same time... On the port hole, after you remove the plastic part hose connection you will see a small cavity and the tiny hole is in the very bottom of that cavity that goes to where the piston operates, this should give you an idea what you might need to do, take apart the master cylinder.. Good luck..

Welcome!
Mine had the similar condition when I bought it. I rebuilt the caliper and it's okay now.

Omega Man":uwj5eq5y said:
Welcome to the forums! Nice bike, I really like the forward trunk. I'll bet it's very comfortable. I'm sure one of the guys with more info will be along shortly. :hi:

~O~

Am I missing something? Are there photos somewhere? What is forward trunk?

EDIT:
Oh sorry, I got it. They are in the images. Forward trunk is a good idea for solo riders. I am thinking of dual trunks for more cargo capacity.

Oh I may be thinking 83 not 82....that are linked...oooopps ...For sure the Caliper too..

I am so sorry for saying the 82's were linked brakes, I will only beg to be forgiven, I hit my stupid head aganist a brick wall a few times so it never happens again :head bang: :head bang: :smilie_happy: lost sleep for two days over it...

Not to worry, I had spoke my peace on another forum and was very quickly corrected and spanked and told not to post anything that I did not know what I was talking about. Needless to say I don't post much on that forum anymore, yeah I don't want to send some one down the wrong road for a fix , was just tellin how it worked for me. That's how we learn :hi:

A bit of corrosion can start in the groove that holds the caliper piston seal. The corrosion grows into a bump that presses up on the seal and locks the piston from withdrawing when you release pedal. Or your pads are well worn and the piston is sticking in the bore where dirt and corrosion have built up. Solution is always the same. Rebuild the caliper.

And the answer is.....
D. Almost all the above.
The best thing of course would be new lines and rebuild of the master and caliper with new brake pads. I would try flushing with new DOT3 fluid and be sure the peddle itself isn't sticking. No harm in trying the easy cheap stuff first.

Winger 82":swzgydn6 said:
Not to worry, I had spoke my peace on another forum and was very quickly corrected and spanked and told not to post anything that I did not know what I was talking about. Needless to say I don't post much on that forum anymore, yeah I don't want to send some one down the wrong road for a fix , was just tellin how it worked for me. That's how we learn :hi:
Really... someone got after you for that, Wow, I can tell you this much, the guys on this site aren't that way, they are some really cool guy's here..Mistakes are allowed to be made, Nobody's gonna get after you here...Might correct it but nobody is going to belittle anyone here..Everyone screws up from time to time..It's Human nature.. :salute:

littlebeaver":177wyp75 said:
Winger 82":177wyp75 said:
Really... someone got after you for that, Wow, I can tell you this much, the guys on this site aren't that way, they are some really cool guy's here..Mistakes are allowed to be made, Nobody's gonna get after you here...Might correct it but nobody is going to belittle anyone here..Everyone screws up from time to time..It's Human nature.. :salute:
Some groups are like that. Some will blast you for suggesting a fix that is not in the FSM or mother Honda approved. I like to encourage people to think of new solutions. As do most of the members here.

slabghost":2jwa4tvj said:
littlebeaver":2jwa4tvj said:
Winger 82":2jwa4tvj said:
Some groups are like that. Some will blast you for suggesting a fix that is not in the FSM or mother Honda approved. I like to encourage people to think of new solutions. As do most of the members here.

Rest assured guys it was not this site, this site is great/friendly and down to earth, I'm glad Dan got it started :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Winger 82":2x1allpl said:

Off topic...... but....that is incredible that members on another forum would give ya a spankin for sharing your experience. We learn a lot around here from the most unusual experiences and sometimes and we ain't always right! But nobody is trying to mess anyone else up on purpose! Speak your mind (some of us have already lost ours!)

Back on topic........

Off topic--

I agree, there's nothing wrong with speaking your mind and giving advise as best you know it, should never be spanked for it, a gentle nudge in the right direction is fine but never demeaning in any way.
We're all friends here helping each other keep these old girls on the road.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming......

I know this much, I have a fun time at this site...Learn alot too..some sites are just a little too serious, In my opinion....When I first came here I was welcomed in a great way, I tested the humor here and it got a great score in my book [funny guy's]... So if anyone wants to post something new and cool, we welcome it...bring it on Poppa or Momma...We need your ideas here..Show us something... :clapping: How about those brakes, get it fixed or what..I have learned that when a guy post something elsewhere even if it's correct some just don't want you there..