Alternator Conversion Pics by Bdubswing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Montecman":16r8l0wh said:
I think it's pretty cool. Just fill me in though. What is the need for the conversion? OEM Parts availibility, A bunch of extra lights, massive sound system, or my personal fav, "Just cause I can" :yes:
to most of this the answer is yes.. low OEm output, we like lots of lights, love hearing our tunes and it is not stock and I could do it..

just done the checks and at idle it's now giving me 14.5 v instead of 0 much better engine power output at low rev s is also better as the engine is now getting more volts at low rev's when setting off

Hi folks.
I'm planning to do my alternator conversion in April. I have a couple of questions.
What kind of crank pulley,& spacers did you use and where did you get them. Will the alternator fit inside the faring?
Really curious in Saskatchewan Canada.
Best regards to you all!

OneTed, how did your conversion turn out? Any pictures? And how did you make your side panels to fit??? :hi: Bob

Joep":3est6git said:
surfing web and saw this... Dan your opinion??
https://www.dupli-tech.com/goldwing-alte ... ertor.html

I almost went with this before doing mine but decided against it.
The dupli-tech is an ingenious design, I highly commend the maker but there are some things I don't like about it.

I'm concerned about the forces put on those small cover bolts and block threads. May never be a problem but I'd be constantly worried one bolt is going to snap or strip out.
It looks very difficult to change a belt on the road.
If the alt belt were to break it would be left flapping around inside the cover which would wrap up in the timing belt. BAD
It looks to me like the lower fairing wouldn't go on.
The alt seems pretty vulnerable there, rain and road debris.
I dont like how it looks out in front like that but that's the least of my concerns.

conversion turned out great here are a few of the pics the hardest part was moving the rad and finding that the original fan wont fit so got one from an old Kawasaki that is thinner Ref the side panel i heated it up with a heat gun and pushed out till it fitted as for the end result it now starts beter, before if i left the bike for a week i had to charge the batt but now that it gets full voltage at the push of the start button it starts straight away and runs better it also means that i can have all my lights on at idle

Attachments

• IMG00023-20091208-1704.jpg
    IMG00023-20091208-1704.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG00040-20100124-1527.jpg
    IMG00040-20100124-1527.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG00035-20100124-1243.jpg
    IMG00035-20100124-1243.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 642
Yes it looks good, could you get by with moving just the radiator bottom forward after moving the fan?

Hey, what do you know about that dipstick?
Do you know who makes it?

Thanks don t know about the dipstick as it was on the bike when i got it and yes you can just move the bottom of the rad but you need to bend the top mountings forward a bit for the bolts to line up again

Hi Folks.

Nice job on your alternator conversion.
Do you know what model of Kawasaki you got your rad from?
And one more question. What alternator did you use?
I'm in the process of doing mine.
Best Regards.
David

don t know model as i went with dimensions and found one that fitted in the space same thing with the alt went to shop and asked for one that fits in the space i think it was of a deatsu van

oneted":24qwi5hx said:
same thing with the alt went to shop and asked for one that fits in the space

That's what I did too. I think mine is smaller than oneted's.

I just had my little Denso suddenly start putting out over 15 volts. The shop tested it but came up fine but I had them refurbish it with a new regulator, brushes etc.
I asked him what it's out of and model number. He said he's seen them on forklifts and riding mowers but didnt have a part number if that helps any. I think he didnt want to tell me the part number for me to go shopping around because I discussed with him awhile back about making a kit to sell and he supply the alternator. He did tell me a brand new one the same is about $180, could prolly find that cheaper.

Hi Folks.
I appreciate all the info . It will help alot when I begin in April.
I appreciate the info re original rad with Kawasiki fan and shroud . I will keep that in mind.
Regarding the alternator, I noticed a Chevy mini alt. is 35 amps. Do you think that would be enough or should I go for about 50 amps? I want to get this right. So whatever your experience with these I will appreciate.
Best Regards !!
David

I've checked the load on mine at close to 40 amps with normal lights plus 2 -55 watt driving lights.
Mine being 45 amp max output means if the fan turns on then it's maxed.
I think this is one reason I just had to have the regulator replaced, not sure if this one was rebuilt before I got it, may not have been.
I would go with a 60 amp.