Air shock rebuild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petefan1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the day, back before (if I understood correctly) the big CRASH...there was some talk about shock oil amounts when doing spring/seal changes on rear shocks. Book calls for (this is from old memeory and may be wrong) 12 oz......this was a per shock amount, correct? And there was also talk (Joedrum??) that a manufacturer suggestion was to added 3 oz less or so than normal. Any of this ring any bells? I am about to change out my 1100 spring innerds for the 1200 coils

IF the springs you are using are thicker than what you are taking out, you need to use less oil. When I did my rear shocks, I used Progressive springs, and they recommended only putting in 10oz of oil per shock, due to the extra thickness of the spring wire. It displaces more oil than the thinner stock springs.

If it helps, you can read how I did mine.
AApple's Progressive Rear spring and Seal Install

Somewhere in the Gallery is the Progressive install instructions too, but they are hard to read. They had been copied so many times before I got them, that the pics are pretty useless...so I took my own pics. :good:

I found it!
Progressive's Rear Spring and Seal Kit Installation

Well, im using an oem replacement spring. I decided to try out a 1200 set of coils this time around to see how it works out (im an experimentalist (like everyone else i know) when the parts are available). I originally replaced with the 1100 coils, but I wanna play and see if its too stiff or not

Here is how I put the oil back in in this video:

viewtopic.php?p=28035#p28035
Using that method, you cannot overfill because when the level gets to the top it just spits right out anyway.

McGovern, Interesting way to fill 'er up. I found that leaving the air line attached, then turning the shock upside down and filling up with the atf from a measured container worked pretty good

Look like older sets of springs, newer type is a gold color, :yes: will still work well. :good: