New ebay starter (READ THIS BEFORE BUYING)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rebuilt arrived from stockers.com. It does not come with a gear. My old gear will not fit because the starter shaft has a master spline just like the Chinese ones did.

Here is the Chinese one:
image.php

Here is the rebuilt one:
image.php

Starter field test?
image.php

Anybody got one off to check the splines?

backlander":1opmddg7 said:
What to hey, the one from china is thick to right and the rebuilt is thick to left. Am I seeing that right ?

:shock: By Jobe I think he's on to something! :music:

I believe me and Mr. Dremel tool would be doing some handy work as long as the shaft diameter, number of splines were correct and make that thing fit your gear. You won't ever miss the metal you take off even if its the whole master spline. What cha think scd ?

backlander":n8lrp1p8 said:
I believe me and Mr. Dremel tool would be doing some handy work as long as the shaft diameter, number of splines were correct and make that thing fit your gear. You won't ever miss the metal you take off even if its the whole master spline. What cha think scd ?
Ya think this one is a rebuilt Chinese starter?
Make it fit has crossed my mind several times over the past month and a half. (?) :builder:

But you know it will void all warranty. :ahem:

Ok, finally got my refund from Stockers, got some more money to add to it and found this in my search.

Click to enlarge.

Also found in my search, the same - same for $35 less.

Ordered on 10-9, got an email saying it shipped on 10-12, and it arrived today 10-17.

New Ricks starter from Old Bike Barn. Looks very impressive compared to the Chinese starters. At this point, the only red flag is that the battery wire (included) is in a different location compared to OEM.
image.php

Of course, the first thing I check is the gear.
My original starter gear fits the new starter from Ricks in any orientation, but will only push down about half way and tightens up.
image.php

New Gear Fits all the way on in any orientation.
It wiggles a little, but no doubt a good fit.
image.php

Ricks Gear closely matches original.
image.php

So far I'm felling pretty good about this one. Soon as I'm able I'll put it on and see if it works.

The post is in the same place on mine like this one.
Don't know what's up with that. I've "heard" it could have 4 brushes instead of 2. One of these days I'll open it and see.

It did come from stockers, I was told it was new (made in their shop), said "heavy duty on the box and cost almost $200 shipped.
It has served me well.

Struck me funny the gear is on it backward in the picture.

dan filipi":mw0ibqnv said:
Struck me funny the gear is on it backward in the picture.
That scared me at first. But I understand how companies will hire a photographer to take pictures of their stock using light boxes and such. The guy behind the camera probably didn't know what he was looking at. When the supplier gets back 150+ digital pictures, all post edited, labeled and sized for web use, paid in advance, a certain percentage of detail may slip by unnoticed or not worth the trouble to correct.

With the help of my sons, we got the starter in today. Because of the location of the + wire, we had to remove the exhaust, which required removal of the engine guard. Even then it was a fight. We decided that we would have to remove the exhaust stud from the head to clear the + post, and that's when we discovered the starter was "stuck" between the exhaust stud, engine, and frame so we couldn't get it in, but we couldn't get it back out either - with the starter in the way of getting the stud out.

What a fiasco! Hey, Moe - Oh, a wise guy,eh? - Spread out ya numb skulls. - Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk! - "BONK" Ouw, oh,oh oh.... :builder: :head bang: :Doh2: :whip: :doh:

Finally got it lined up and started, but the o-ring didn't want to cooperate. (sigh!) It only took us 2 1/2 hours of frustration. All bolted in and wired up, this thing cranks like a raped ape! Although ear piercing. You ain't gonna sneak outta town on this thing. But impressively strong crank! The reason it comes with a new cable is because the old one won't be long enough with the post relocation. The new cable is not excessively long, but when routed like the old one was, leaves plenty of wiggle room to work with.

Bottom line is: Stay away from Chinese starters no matter where it's on sale. They just don't fit. Not even a rebuilt one. Apparently, the GL1100 starter market has gone through some changes over the past year or so. Old Bike Barn sent me a "NEW" Ricks starter for under $200 delivered to my door. Installation was a royal pain, but at least it works.

Now we got lot's and lot's of cleaning to do.

its insane these corporations have the best cnc machimes on the planet ....and they build starters ,head gaskits and carbs parts that are just junk ...i dont see how it can be done so lousey :rant:

Glad you FINALLY got this thing sorted.
Drives me nuts with frustration when such easy things go sour.
Happens to me a lot. Don't know why, just lucky I guess.
I suppose if we didn't do anything at all, we wouldn't have any troubles.

I too am glad you finally got a good one! :clapping:

I am hanging on to my spare '81 and '82 starters! (I'm not taking any chances!) :shock:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=77727#p77727:io3kpz1c said:
leaddog11 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:25 am[/url]":io3kpz1c]I order one of those off ebay for around $85.00 and it fit perfectly. It also turns the engine over very fast.

A "new" Chinese one, or a in-country "new" or "rebuilt"?

I suspect there was a "good deal" on a boatload of (less than desirable) Chinese starters and for the most part the market has filtered it's way through the mess.

Like all products there is good and bad, unfortunately most the Chinese stuff looks the same so you have to try it out and that is a bit of a crap shoot. If I find good stuff I normally try and buy the same again ASAP.

Well i bought one from ebay about two months ago and I guess I got lucky everything hook up fine with no trouble.

Latest posts