Brakes for 1984 GL-1200

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will sell a shim now for 5k...American... :smilie_happy: this is all coming from the kid with the wobbly wheel on his home go cart... :smilie_happy:

yes that will work beav...you would have to go slow and probably in the garage off wheels and maybe outside turning sorce to get slow enough not to melt glue and all on sanding stuff

I'm going to try it...I shall report back to you guys.....Brent are you there sir...?

Oh ya I'm here...taking it all in!! Lol...but seriously...the sandpaper idea does sound just simple enough to actually work!! My front disk are glazed...but they don't seem to be badly worn!! The rears disk is a different subject...worn completely out!! Can anybody recommend a site to order good parts...cheap?? Thanks to all of you guys!!

Brent1984":2s86h691 said:
Oh ya I'm here...taking it all in!! Lol...but seriously...the sandpaper idea does sound just simple enough to actually work!! My front disk are glazed...but they don't seem to be badly worn!! The rears disk is a different subject...worn completely out!! Can anybody recommend a site to order good parts...cheap?? Thanks to all of you guys!!
Yeah sorry man, I have no idea where to get a new rotor for the rear, I would think maybe ebay...for a better used one..lots of times they will give you measuremnts on the rotors...I think the limit on the rear is like [6.0] thickness is [6.9 --7.1] mine is a hair under 7.0..I need me one of them there digital readout outside caliper thingy's measurer thingys... :smilie_happy:

littlebeaver":xv3lxngu said:
I will sell a shim now for 5k...American... :smilie_happy: this is all coming from the kid with the wobbly wheel on his home go cart... :smilie_happy:
beave guys have been doing this with sandpaper on a sanding block for a long time now and as far as I know none have had any luck. These rotors area pretty hard steel Im afraid your gonna be spending the winter changing sanding pads.

littlebeaver":2zsbmckz said:
Oh hey fella's, just because I'm crazy enough to try this don't mean you should go do this.. It is after all you're brakes you do the safe thing and please don't go do this..

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT.......... :read:

"No backyard motorcycle mechanics/parts changers (real or perceived) were hurt during the filming of this thread." :doh: :hihihi:

1060dsl":1a9xhqt4 said:
littlebeaver":1a9xhqt4 said:
beave guys have been doing this with sandpaper on a sanding block for a long time now and as far as I know none have had any luck. These rotors area pretty hard steel Im afraid your gonna be spending the winter changing sanding pads.
Nooooooon sense, :smilie_happy: ,,I am little Beaver and I do the impossible, like Joe...I am willing to bet they didn't glue sand paper to the actual pad, if you sand it and run water on the disk as you go it should work...Hello.... :smilie_happy: :clapping: Oh and I do my work in the Garage not the backyard thank you very much ha ha :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :clapping: I am not other guys.......I shall do it and report back,,And if I'm wrong I shall say I was wrong... Seriously fella's don't go do this... :clapping: I might do the fronts too though, Only I shall place the paper on the pads and take it for a ride in the neighbor hood and carry a water bottle so I can soak the disk's as I apply the brake lightly...Should have a nice cleaned up disk when I get back, Yes.... :clapping: :clapping: How dare you call me a mechanic Mac, I am no such thing... :smilie_happy: :clapping: I am however the bestest glorified Armchair Wantabee Mechanic in this here country...The more beer the better I get.. :smilie_happy: Hey Brent are you entertained yet..??? You never know what kinda stuff I will think of next, I have never heard of this being done on any site..

chasrogers":zl2o4lyw said:
I do mine with a polishing disk on my hand grinder light touch let it spin and it comes out great.and I dont take very much off the rotor at all. just cross hatch it looks professional when im done. guys have asked where I gottem turned. they like the look of them. :builder: :builder: :builder: :good: :good: :eek:k:

Now that sounds like an idea that might work.!!

Well guess what, I got it done and I'm happy I had some grooves in the rotor before and I now have a nice smooth rotor It worked perfect using water and sandpaper, I used some steel wool too, it's only real smooth where the brake pad was so I just sanded the outside of the rotor where the pads don't touch as well by hand as the wheel spun in 3rd gear.. This will work if you are patient l with it...I would advise against doing this though because if you screw up you could loose you hand or fingers...But I differently have resurfaced rotors now....Now I just need to wait for my new steel braided brake lines...

We use GL1000 Rotors I send them out to a tool and die buddy who has found the special rivets need to hold the disc to the hub and make up GL1200 rear rotors.
The GL1000 disc material seems to be made of sturdier? stuff, they NEVER seem to wear out, plus I have plenty of stock of good low mileage GL1000 rotors to play with, I only require your old rotor as a core (we need the hub to make more). please let me know if this is of interest to the club, and I will do a decent run of them and offer a special price to CGW members..

Latest posts