LED position Daytime running lights

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
Wanting to continue reducing the electrical load but still having a highly visible bike/s I went looking for cheap LED alternatives and this is what I intend to use for the Rats Nest and Dad's 82

(duplicate thread deleted-aapple)

350 lumen for the 9watters that's why I went to the trouble to modify and install them as the lights weren't bright enough on their own and were too directional

Finally did a current test on the modified lights and they draw a lowly 272ma :good:

Here are the lights mounted and running during a SoCal marine mist morning
Just got back from Altadena ( Steve's house) which was an 80 mile run down the 210,57 and 5 and they are fantastic in those conditions. As they are on the crash bars and point to the side a bit it was great how well the lanes were defined by these little LEDs.

Running cheap Chinese HID inserts and there are some strip lights mounted under the round lights I modified in the beginning of this post. The strip lights really don't do any thing except look pretty and I had them lying around at home from previous purchases. The 9watters mounted in the middle are the heroes as they are visible from the sides as well as throwing heaps out the front.

I have a set of these mounted on my engine guards that work great for brightening up stuff close to the bike, but I really need to make things brighter further out away from the bike.

images

The more I looks at HID installs, I think that is the way to go, but I just have a hard time justifying a hole in the back side of the fairing to accomplish the install.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92767#p92767:3hkr0vdg said:
brianinpa » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:20 am[/url]":3hkr0vdg]
I have a set of these mounted on my engine guards that work great for brightening up stuff close to the bike, but I really need to make things brighter further out away from the bike.

images

The more I looks at HID installs, I think that is the way to go, but I just have a hard time justifying a hole in the back side of the fairing to accomplish the install.
Well that hole was needed on the one I bought. Not all of them need the extra room.

Both kits I used went through the original wiring holes they just took quite a bit of manuvering to install, I really should of extended the bulb wiring that way I could of mounted the ballast properly rather than just tossing it into the fairing.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92832#p92832:1ydmau74 said:
brianinpa » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:13 pm[/url]":1ydmau74]
Do you remember which kit you used?
This is the kit that I would recommend as it has been working on my Red Cbr for 12months now and I prefer the direct power supply from the battery as no load goes through the headlight switch and ignition by using this feature.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/110945861163?ru ... 26_rdc%3D1

Went to the wholesaler yesterday and picked up some new day time running lights for the Rats Nest. $66 AUD for the pair. Retails about $88
Nice construction and look really good. I was going to make some using the same Crees as in the centre of my first lights (4-5) but couldn't find an alloy extrusion that I liked to mount them in. So these are probably twice as expensive but a lot less work :yes:
Old roof pattern of original lights
I had to take the photo to the side as the lights were too bright to look at or photo directly, the roof pattern is lots brighter and bigger than my original ones

Now the bad news with more light comes more power/current. These two now draw almost as much as my 35wHID and 10 times the original lights... :cheeky:
Original 2 lights
One light with good quality multimeter
Even more power with my cheaper MM