Single Carb Conversion 2 Barrel Progressive Holley,Weber 740 carb

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also noticed that while riding on my Rock driveway usually good traction for most of my vehicle's, it has a good amount of rock it is a about a 200ft long drive way, I need to be very cautious with the throttle, with this new Single carb. conversion, as it is torquey.

It had no problem getting the rear tire loose, if i wanted to.

That took me by surprise.

Here are some more pictures from today

Attachments

• P1020003 1 comp 100k.jpg
    P1020003 1 comp 100k.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 98
  • P1020004 1 comp 100k.jpg
    P1020004 1 comp 100k.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 97
  • P1020005 1 comp 77k.jpg
    P1020005 1 comp 77k.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 98
  • P1020009 1 comp77k.jpg
    P1020009 1 comp77k.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 99
  • P1020010 1 comp77k.jpg
    P1020010 1 comp77k.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 99
  • P1020011 1 comp 77k.jpg
    P1020011 1 comp 77k.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 101
  • P1020012 1 Comp 77k.jpg
    P1020012 1 Comp 77k.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 99
let me also say this.

Going to a single carb. did not transform it into a rocket.

But it is torquey, and fun, and if i have less hassles with it, i am a converted single carb. guy.

I have had some impressive bikes, that some have scared me.

It is not in that category.

But Like I said it feels more like riding a GL1500 6 cyl.
Meaning More torque than my GL1100 from the factory had, and being able to pull high gears at low Rpm's that is impressive, and very GL1500 like..

Very Smooth, throttle transition is just plain smooth as glass.

That is/was the advantage of the 6cylinder Goldwings

The GL1500, does not maneuver as well as a naked GL1100/GL1200

I had a GL1800, and those just plain do everything right, i went through the suspension, it handled Great.

But they are Bigger and heavier, than the 4cyl. oldwings.

And those 6cyl. bike feel heavy at slower speeds

4cyl. Oldwings are very sporty, when they are kept light

The only real PROBLEM i had was trying to keep it out of that secondary

That secondary made riding the bike FUN!!

OK, I designed a master Schnitz.

That's kind of a master piece o crap.

My Cable Hold Bracket needs a redesign, It is close to being right just not close enough.

I want that throttle to be OEM solid or better.

It needs to be absolutely solid 100% of the time, the angle needs to be changed slightly.

I know what needs to be done and will change it.

I also took off one of the return springs off of the carb. I will be putting it back on as the throttle pull is TOO Light for me.

A couple minor tweaks.

After the minor fixes.

when I ride the bike again, I will put it through it's paces, much more than before, i want to see more of what it is capable of.

But i will wait for a cool morning, to see what she can do when it is cool out.

This will also be a cold manifold test. It is usually about 65 degrees in the morning.

The freezing issue may be more of a problem when temp's turn cool like below 45-50 degree's

One other thing when starting the engine, Cold start or warm, NO choke is needed at all, the accelerator pump is awesome on this carb.

I tried Cold starting the bike, I started the engine then Immediately tried to add in some choke, to see what it would do, when i added part choke, it started stumbling,

it did NOT like any choke at all,

I opened the choke, and and put my vista Cruse control on at 1500-2000 rpm, and it ran really good again, left it that way for 30- sec.s, by the end of 30sec's it was warm enough.

25 miles is not enough of a test ride

Yes Sir,

Could I Interest you in either one of our 4-carb boat anchors, the one in front is the Fresh Water the one in back is a Salt Water version.

Really My GL1100 Carb rack was functioning really well my bike ran good with them.

What really Pi$t me 0ff was the hydro locking, which was my fault, but I wanted to try something else.

I felt i could not trust the bike with Those carbs. If i forgot one time while i was out, i would be stranded, further showing to me the unreliability of it.

Actually that one in front was my induction for the GL1100, one in back is the carb. rack from the GL1200 that is going to be a reverse trike project.

That may also be turned into a single carb conversion.

That Hammer in the picture is in case that GL1100 carb rack gives me a dirty look, Pow!

Or overboard she'll go arrr!!

The other is a single barrel 34PICT3

I would like to try the 740 carb. I have on the GL1100, after i do some more testing of the 32DFT carb.

I have to remove the choke, make a seal plate for the choke.

Attachments

• P1020014 1 comp 77k.jpg
    P1020014 1 comp 77k.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 144
The possibility of hydrolock really does suck.
Some guys I know never turn the gas off and have never had it happen, others (like me) have had it happen a couple times and learned the hard way to get in a habit turning the gas off.
It's not just that it can't crank over with gas in the cylinder, risk of bending the piston rod or filling the crankcase with gas is worse.

Dan,

I know that when the Fuel tank valve is turned to off, you will not drain the tank Into in the oem 4 carb rack and filing the cylinders and Onto the top of the engine and floor.

But if you have fuel pumped up into the fuel line and fuel filters.

Have you had that small amount of fuel drain past the carb rack and into the cylinders?

Or does that small amount of fuel in the lines and filter only get pushed when the fuel valve is open?

Vacuum on fuel in line, when tank valve is closed.

I have gone out and looked in my fuel filter with 4carb oem, fuel valve shut off, and fuel filter was full, then next day fuel filter was empty.

When fuel valve is Open, it would just be pushed by the fuel in the tank, and gravity.

Bike Inspection:

No fuel leaks, or any other leaks,

Both fuel filters are full, and the Fuel tank Valve was left in the on position, for a few days, no Fuel leaks past the float valve yet.

Cold start at 9:00 a.m. 61 degrees out.

Three pumps of the accelerator pump.

Hit the Start "O" and started right up, then low rev engine a few times maybe 6 times, up to 2k rpm to keep it running, then vista CC on at a 2k rpm's, then hold for 30 sec.s then off and idles perfect at 1K rpm.

I let it idle for one more minute, then time to ride.

Note On Restart, It is Instant on, no low revving to 2k at all, just instant start and let it idle, at 1000 rpm

I'm curious to see, once you get it all wringed out, and all the settings where ya want them, how the fuel mileage will be, compared to the OE 4 anchor. Obviously, it's gunna suck for a while, until you get done playing and having fun riding it....just wondering if that feeling will ever go away, and will the mileage suffer tremendously? :hihihi:
Most excellent install tutorial, and review!!! Good Job!! :eek:k: :good: :thanks:

wow ... so the 32dft is smaller the 740 ... im blown away ..this is quite a bit smaller 22-22 ia a whole lot of air flow 24-25 740 ....and both carbs jetted the same ....kinda explains some of the differences in the airflow differences were having in the two setups .....

kinda exposes the number game when something is identified by figure that dose not correlate with carbs operation ... when people think it dose and things don't add up ....

I know this has merit on carbs with replicable chokes ... but when carbs are fixed choked like these are the numbers are totally useless in number crunching and simply wrong to use ... in my opinion....here I was thinking the carb was bigger westgl was trying ....and all along it was smaller ...sheesh :headscratch:

R E V I S E D ! ! !

- - - Ride Report - - -

I will go over what problems i have found, One big problem that was all my fault.

First Off,

I want to say My 83' GL1100 With this Single Carb. Conversion is MUCH FASTER!! Than I first thought.

The previous Test Ride Report almost needs to be thrown out, do to Substantial Performance Increase.

Let me start,

I will admit to my stupid over site, that could have got me hurt.

Especially as Fast!! as this bike is Now!!

Started bike, was ready to go for second ride (Note to self, Don't let Enthusiasm cloud your judgement).

Was going over in mind a pre-flight check list, that I usually, always do.

When i got to air in tires, i said you missed that yesterday, then said well tires are new should be ok, they could not have lost that much air, WRONG!!!.

Then i realized, I have not checked the Tire pressure on this bike since before i moved to the new house, More than 6-months ago.

Front tire 19-lbs
Rear tire 18-lbs

Have you ever driven a car when the tires are really low, feels like the get up and go, has been lost, that is the comparison here.

I was doing 90mph, Yesterday, on way to Low tire pressure, i was lucky.

I thought the bike handled much better Before, like 6-months ago, anyway it is back and handle's great now, Very sportie handling with 38psi front, & 40 psi Rear.

Went and got Premium fuel topped off, as gas was also more than 6-months old, but had a stabilizer in it, and is stored in side, and out of the weather.

Temp out said 65 degrees,

Roll on performance with properly inflated tires is like Day & Night!!

This bike actually scared me a couple times, so i can put it into that category, because it is Much faster than before.

Performance has gone From good to GREAT!!!.

My suspension set up is;
Front
Progressive Fork springs, 2ea fork, Spacer/Washers to get rid of suspension Sag, & Redline High Temp Synthetic ATF,
Rear
Rebuilt Stock Air shocks, with Redline synthetic ATF,

All balls tapered bearing, head stem bearings

Now that bike is Handling great, like it should, I took some Fast turns at much faster than posted speed limit and powered out of the turns.

I dont want to over rate it, But at the same time I dont want to under rate it either

Is it faster Now! than my 83' GL1100 was stock with the (OEM 4 carb Cod Catcher) YES!!!

I Noticed that Bike really set me back when i got on it.

I did a couple of standing starts, and revved the bike like a fast run with the bike in Oem configuration

I revved engine up to, well it was close or to Redline.

I took it through the gears revving it high.

It Moved Out Very Nicely!!, this is a performance Enhancement for sure.

Through out the rev range this bike with the 32DFT really impressed me.

I want to do a comparison
I want to ride my;
83' GL1100 with the single 2bbl. then after about 30 minutes, jump on my 86' GL1200

I would like to do another back to back comparison between my 98' GL1500 & GL1100-2 to see differences.

Back to Riding the GL11-2

Riding the GL11-2 today, It is much more powerful, & Much Faster than it was Yesterday.

Torque, Power, & Acceleration are Much Better today than Yesterday.
Down in the low range MORE Torque is a definite Increase to like GW 6cyl engines.
Mid range, the same, higher torque like a 6cyl.
High end is much better than yesterday.

This bike will really run, I am very Impressed!!

I had a nice straight long run, bike flew up to 100+ maybe closer to 105-110mph still had a lot to go.

If i had to guess, 120mph maybe, 5th gear on my 83' GL11-2 is a freeway flyer, gear, some of my roll on info from yesterday was in 5th gear and 5th gear is a freeway flyer, but a down shift to 4th gear, rev it up and your gone.

Going through the gears reeving the engine to 6k, or 7k + provides extreme acceleration.

I would hazzard to say that my GL11-2 is a much better ride in every way, as it is Mildly mannered, very easy to ride, yet really fast now, very smooth & More powerful over the Oem steaming pile o bull stein4.

Maybe with the GL12-2, seeing that it now has more torque, I wonder if I will have more parts breakage occurring.

I did install New Clutch plates 2 years ago, glad i did, now!

Only thing i can think of is, the OEM 4-carb Cod catcher, maybe De-Tuned from the factory? the reason of getting Rid of all that torque, maybe to keep the buying public safe, and there law suits, Much less.

More torque Makes more sense, with a big touring, heavy hauling bike, that may tow more weight.

It had to be the MFR's lawyers were involved in decision making, legal reasons?

Joe Look down into the carb, the throttle bore tapers from the top down past the choke plates they are 32mm then taper down to 22mm then open up again at the butterflies, like a hour glass shape, this is to speed up charge velocity, in the center height of the carb. the 740 also does this, like the 32DFT does they are close, the tapered Venturi, on the 32 is slightly bigger, but the Top of carb, intake & the Butterflies are 32 mm

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=95497#p95497:p0djzj3n said:
joedrum » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:56 am[/url]":p0djzj3n]
wow ... so the 32dft is smaller the 740 ... im blown away ..this is quite a bit smaller 22-22 ia a whole lot of air flow 24-25 740 ....and both carbs jetted the same ....kinda explains some of the differences in the airflow differences were having in the two setups .....

kinda exposes the number game when something is identified by figure that dose not correlate with carbs operation ... when people think it dose and things don't add up ....

I know this has merit on carbs with replicable chokes ... but when carbs are fixed choked like these are the numbers are totally useless in number crunching and simply wrong to use ... in my opinion....here I was thinking the carb was bigger westgl was trying ....and all along it was smaller ...sheesh :headscratch:

Sounds like a trip to Woodburn is needed. :good:

In all my bike riding days, I never thought a GL was a hot bike, just a nice cruser. I had a 85 GL1200 that we put a full cafe body on, I ran it on the autobahn a few times but it was a city bike 90% of the time. My GS750N would out run it with ease till we hit the corners then the wing would slowly walk away, only to be caught in the straights. I spent so much on that GL1200, I had a German Honda tech rebuild the carbs for $230 back then.

I had so many bikes, I did pay-day loans and would take a title as collateral untill I was paid back. :whip: These loans were interest free. I just got the use of the bike/stereo/car.

What is really amazing to me is.

The difference in the way my bike now behaves and it's overall riding personality has changed drastically.

The Drivability/Rideability, kind of car like in the way it rides now

I really am liking it.

I just had the USPS just deliver to me a 32/34DFT Brand new carb.

Still has Holley Replacement warrantty Info tag attached and is plastic wrapped

It looks Identical to both the 740 and the 32dft and has the same tapered venturi in the throttle bore as the other two

I may leave on the electric choke

That is my new project GL1200 Reverse Trike carb

Say west, I'm not questioning what you say about performance increase but I'm wondering if more torque down low could be due to the throttle twist proportioning being different?
In other words, when you twist the throttle say 1/4 compared to stock carbs, are you opening the single more as in less of an arch on the single?
Does my question make sense?

The torque increase has my attention. I wont pretend I know anything too much about this, but I have read that longer intakes increase torque. You definitely have increased the amount of charge barreling down the tube, because you've increased the runner length, substantially increased. The one thing the Goldwings lack a bit is low end torque. Looking forward to more reports from you especially comparing the other two bikes.

Dan
I would say, the length of throttle pull has been reduced.

I am trying also NOT to get a Noise sensation induced performance increase.

I better wear ear plugs when i do the next tests.

I am not a professional, and My tests are not scientific, i could be way off.

Like I say i dont want to get caught up in the excitement of how it rides and the overall pleasure of it's sweet manners, and exaggerate it's performance.

I am trying to keep it real, and give you a good honest idea.

My GL1200 was noticeably faster than my GL1100 was with both in their original Oem format.

That is another reason why i want to do a back to back test Riding the GL11-2, then ride the GL1200.

This is Only a seat of pants comparison, and may be hard to compare this way, But it is all I have.
Both Bikes are naked.

I think the GL11-2 is better suited to Heavy Hauling, & Goldwing duty than it was before.

Or if naked,

It is now a very good HD killer.

Dan,

All I can say is, I await your Ride report on the single carb.

We will have to take into account the740 vs the 32dft is 15mm of Butterfly area larger.

I am not a engineer and dont claim to be, I only have my seat of pants dyno, and it is not calibrated.

I dont know what if any thing that larger butterfly area would do for/against you at low, mid, or upper power range.

All I know is, I like it, and will not return to the 4 carb. cod catcher.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=95506#p95506:2sh92top said:
dan filipi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:34 pm[/url]":2sh92top]
Say west, I'm not questioning what you say about performance increase but I'm wondering if more torque down low could be due to the throttle twist proportioning being different?
In other words, when you twist the throttle say 1/4 compared to stock carbs, are you opening the single more as in less of an arch on the single?
Does my question make sense?

Latest posts