LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently September 22nd, 2018, 10:29 am
Who Is Online: Ansimp, charles franz ....
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » Repairs and Modifications » Lighting and Electrical

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#151  Unread postPosted: September 16th, 2018, 4:02 am

Topic author

Total Posts: 241
Active Topics: 15

Total Images: 9
Local time: September 22nd, 2018, 7:29 pm
My Bike Models: 1986 GL 1200 Aspencade
1991 Yamaha FJ 1200 ABS
1988 Yamaha XJ 600

Profile Personal album

Hi Ernest
I have no problem to understand the left side of your picture with the RR wiring and the additional relay.
My problem is to be able to understand the right side.
The starter relay in your picture seems to loose two connections. I think one of them is the wiring to the ignition switch and the other from the RR. Both go to the 30 amp fuse and then to bat.
Does this mod change fonctionnality of the starter relay?
What does this mod change at all? What is the idea to do it?
greez
xavier
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#152  Unread postPosted: September 16th, 2018, 4:51 am

Site supporter
Single Carb Club
C5 Club

Total Posts: 17773
Active Topics: 185

Total Images: 1718
Local time: September 22nd, 2018, 2:29 pm
My Bike Models: A bunch in the works
My Bike Logs forum link: viewforum.php?f=121

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
I’d like to know the answer to ? Above also

thank god and hooch im gone

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#153  Unread postPosted: September 16th, 2018, 5:31 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 1037
Active Topics: 65

Total Images: 5
Local time: September 22nd, 2018, 10:29 am
My Bike Models: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 (sold)

Profile Personal album

The right side of the illustration does not need to be touched - no change at the starter solenoid is required.

The reality is that you only need one wire either the red or the red/white wire connected at the starter solenoid because the red and red/white wires are joined/bonded together in the wiring harness. I have only one 10 gauge wire connected from the power bar to the starter solenoid, more than sufficient considering the electrical power flows to the electrical system or to the battery through a 30 amp fuse.

Here's a test to do. Disconnect the red wire from the starter solenoid, start the engine/bike and check the voltage at the battery. Shut off the bike, reconnect the red wire and disconnect the red/white wire. Do the same test. Results should be identical. The reason for this is because these wires are joined/bonded together in the wiring harness. The purpose of these wires is to provide power to the electrical system on start and to replenish the battery after start. One wire would have been sufficient from the connection where the red and red/white wires are joined/bonded, Honda uses the two.

After the test reconnect the wire(s).

The wire you disconnect will be live so protect it from grounding, would not be pretty.

The change on the right side of the illustration does exactly what I have mentioned above, no need to make any change at the starter solenoid.

Let me know how it goes, especially if the above does not work.

"When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"

Ernest

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently September 22nd, 2018, 10:29 am