LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently August 14th, 2018, 8:53 pm
Who Is Online: No registered users ....
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » General Discussions » General Forum

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#76  Unread postPosted: May 3rd, 2018, 4:43 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 240
Active Topics: 10

Total Images: 7
Local time: August 14th, 2018, 10:53 pm
My Bike Models: 1986 Interstate
1986 Aspencade

Profile Personal album

Thanks for sharing, I have a whole new appreciation for CBX’s now. :thanks:

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#77  Unread postPosted: May 17th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Total Posts: 1376
Active Topics: 86

Total Images: 44
Local time: August 14th, 2018, 9:53 pm
My Bike Models: - '97 Valkyrie Bumblebee Tourer that Honda never made!

- '78 GL1000 - custom and evolving

- '79 CBX-Z - a work in progress

Profile Personal album

Still racing the Summer heat clock, I have morning hours. West-facing garage and 100F+ temperatures mean I'm done by Noon. I really only have two more actions on deck until I retire to the A/C and the pool.

I had a sizable oil leak out of the alternator housing. Turned out to be an oring I hadn't anticipated. So, it's still apart until that oring comes in. I'm doing brushes and bearings while I'm in there. By the way, the alternator is driven by an ingenious clutch in an oil bath. The clutch is designed to reduce the torque on the primary shaft (lightweight) which also drives the ignition pulsars. This shaft is behind and driven off the crank and is what keeps the width of the CBX from being excessive.

I'm also fixing the ubiquitous early CBX clutch rattle. A fellow in Belgium has oversized rubber isolators that fit over the clutch hub legs that cures the horrendous rattle these things develop over time. A redesign in '81 cured it. This fix is something Honda never anticipated, so it involves grinding off rivets and drilling and tapping for screws to hold in the replacements. Not terrible, but not a slam dunk, either.

For some reason, I can't attach images right now, but will as I wrap up these last tasks before Summer.

Safe riding, guys!

"Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity." - Anonymous

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#78  Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2018, 3:33 am

Global Moderator
C5 Club

Total Posts: 14860
Active Topics: 151

Total Images: 112
Local time: August 15th, 2018, 12:53 am
My Bike Models: 98 Valkyrie, 84 Standard, X2 80GL1100,81GL1100,82KZ750,81 Seca750 ++

Profile Personal album

Sorry your season is closing so soon. It's just beginning here. I've been riding this past week under threat of storms (rain) but I've been lucky enough to have it dry when I ride.

Vote NO on taxes, levies, and incumbents.
Every day I learn I know less than I thought I did.
Every time something is made idiot proof. The world produces a better idiot!
Maturity like wisdom seldom arrives without age. Far too often though age arrives without either.
ImageImage Image
Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often. For the same reason.
A fine is tax you pay for doing wrong. A tax is fine you pay for doing well.
Second place makes you first loser.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#79  Unread postPosted: May 27th, 2018, 6:12 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Profile Personal album

Getting hotter'n Hades in the garage after about 1-2PM. In another week, a predicted huge high pressure system will dig in and consistent 105-110F afternoon temps will mean 75-80 nightime temps and 85 - 90+ in the garage first thing in morning. (Won't cool down). So, I'm about to hang it up except for short, odd jobs.

So, I have taken care of the significant alternator oil leak. And I'm finishing up the clutch job. Horrible rattle that all the 79/80 models develop. I'll be glad to get rid of that embarrassing noise. Clutch plates look like new. (Machine was well-loved).

I'd post pics, but for some crazy reason, the system refuses to attach .jpg's from my new iPhone into this thread. I can post photos taken with the old one, but not this one. Crazy.

I'll add a couple of shots if/when I figure it out.

"Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity." - Anonymous

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#80  Unread postPosted: August 5th, 2018, 5:06 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Profile Personal album

It's hot in Phoenix these days. Really hot. Too hot to ride. But, not too hot to begin preparing for putting finishing touches on this CBX road warrior. That "preparation" involves obtaining a few goodies, as is the case for anything worthwhile.

Recall, earlier in this thread that I replaced the factory PLASTIC <!> swingarm bushings used on the '79s with brass ones. A bit of a PIA, I'm now surprised that after only putting 250 miles on it, I've sourced another swingarm.

Attachment:
IMG_E0180.bmp

This is a Pro-Link arm from an '81 CBX. (It was used in '81/82). I'll be converting it to twin shock and will need to source bushings to accept the smaller '79 arm pivot bolt. But, it's far superior than the stamped steel factory '79 bit. There are better arms out there, but they are big bucks. Heck, by the time I get mounts machined and welded, the bushings machined - plus the cost of the swingarm, this one won't be cheap either, but the cool factor will be there. I'll also need a longer chain as this arm slightly increased in length. (Needed a chain and sprockets anyway) Nobody will notice the new swingarm, but I'll know it's there! That's what matters.

Oh! And I have another set of carbs to go on. I rebuilt my set, but they aren't perfect. Very streetable and runs like a raped ape, but not perfect, especially at idle. I'd be really ticked off if I pulled the carbs again, tweaked on them again, then re-installed and found there were still problems. Pulling carbs on this beast is no picnic. The motor has to be practically removed to do the job.

Sooo, I enlisted the help of a fellow up the road here - what was his name - oh yes, Nixon. He worked his magic on a set I sourced. A few weeks ago these guys came back home and are also waiting their turn when cooler garage temperatures FINALLY get here:

Attachment:
After Mike Nixon!.JPG

So, I have some things to look forward to in a couple of months!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#81  Unread postPosted: August 5th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Single Carb Club
Site supporter

Total Posts: 282
Active Topics: 16

Total Images: 11
My Bike Models: 2001 Gl 1500 Valkyrie 1979 CBX 1978 CB 750 F3

Profile Personal album

NICE ! eats up a $ 1000 real fast , But it will feel like a new bike ! MY CBX is apart in the shop , First gear replacement..been riding the Valk all summer..

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#82  Unread postPosted: August 5th, 2018, 5:55 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Profile Personal album

Been following that, Greg. Real bummer. I hammered on this one pretty good for 250 miles. I'm pretty confident that I can go after fun stuff and won't <knock wood> be opening cases for a while. I guess the good news is that you have all Winter to deal with it...and those stairs!

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently August 14th, 2018, 8:53 pm