LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently August 14th, 2018, 8:52 pm
Who Is Online: No registered users ....
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » Repairs and Modifications » Shop Talk and Tech references » GL1200

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#16  Unread postPosted: May 12th, 2018, 11:22 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 8920
Active Topics: 145

Total Images: 1126
Local time: August 15th, 2018, 2:52 pm
My Bike Models: 1981 GL1100 Vetter "Rats Nest"
1987 CBR1000f Naked "The Pig"
1991 CBR1000f "Red"
1998 GL1500c "Val"

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
:good:

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#17  Unread postPosted: May 13th, 2018, 4:34 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 1725
Active Topics: 32

Total Images: 69
Local time: August 14th, 2018, 11:52 pm
My Bike Models: 1986 GL1200A "Goldie"
2016 HD FLTRU "BB"

Profile Personal album

Nice!

Riding anything is a good day

Mike

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#18  Unread postPosted: May 15th, 2018, 7:03 am

Site supporter

Topic author

Total Posts: 981
Active Topics: 63

Total Images: 5
Local time: August 14th, 2018, 8:52 pm
My Bike Models: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 (sold)

Profile Personal album

Waiting on the new shocks to arrive. Have been looking at how to rebuild the old ones and there are two components - the upper spring with the associated seals etc, and the lower damper. Will be investigating this when I get west.

Have a metal on metal sound coming from the rear case. Looked at some old photos from the other bike and there is not a lot that can cause this. Only happens when idling. Checked the rotor bolt and it's tight. Have read and heard that a clutch stack can do this when it has been unused for a long time. In this case almost 5 years. I have been told that it may go away from regular use and oil changes. Will monitor this.

Today is a bike cleaning day, the chrome and aluminum parts. May get some grime off the FD.

Bike is looking good.

Cheers

"When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"

Ernest

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#19  Unread postPosted: May 15th, 2018, 7:29 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 1376
Active Topics: 86

Total Images: 44
Local time: August 14th, 2018, 9:52 pm
My Bike Models: - '97 Valkyrie Bumblebee Tourer that Honda never made!

- '78 GL1000 - custom and evolving

- '79 CBX-Z - a work in progress

Profile Personal album

The suspense is killing me. When do you hit the road with it?

"Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity." - Anonymous

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#20  Unread postPosted: May 15th, 2018, 12:45 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

2008 GL1800 (sold)

Profile Personal album

I'm like a good woman, keeping you on the hook until it's set! :music:

Should be doing a road trip to Toronto and Ottawa this weekend. Have to come back and do some work for Mom, stay for my sister's b'day and hope to be on the road heading west approximately 28 May as planned - route to be determined - weather may play a part in it.

Getting little items done such as freeing up the passenger foot boards so they do not need 2 men and a boy to put up/down. Lubed up the signal switch, new boot for the clutch MC push rod, replaced the marker lights on the headlamp. Starting to do some cleaning/polishing. Want to get a buffing wheel for the aluminum stuff. Can't let Gerry McGovern have the only shiny front forks.

Cheers

Ernest

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#21  Unread postPosted: May 17th, 2018, 4:29 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 240
Active Topics: 10

Total Images: 7
Local time: August 14th, 2018, 10:52 pm
My Bike Models: 1986 Interstate
1986 Aspencade

Profile Personal album

Toronto to Ottawa this weekend? What is your planned route and time line? Maybe we can meet for a coffee. I am off Friday Sat and Sunday. ( coffee and pie). Pm me if this could work. :good:

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#22  Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2018, 4:39 am

Site supporter

Topic author

2008 GL1800 (sold)

Profile Personal album

Have the bike on the road. Went for a 200 Km ride yesterday, ran well, but the shocks are an issue. The air system is nice but I don't have time to do it justice. The shocks I ordered and put on are not robust enough for the weight of the bike. Have ordered a set of progressives as 5000 Kms with out good shocks will be a back injury waiting to happen. Upgrade of the shocks after 34 years and sitting for 5 years is not that bad.

For desertrefugee - got out and took some notable pictures of the ride yesterday. This area has a rich history in mining and is still an active area for such such as Kirkland Lake Gold and others. The Kerr Addison mine being one of the most notable in the area.

There is a memorial in Kirkland Lake to commemorate the memories of those who been lost to mining in the area:
Attachment:
KL Miner Monument 4.jpg
Attachment:
KL Miner Monument.jpg
Attachment:
KL Miner Monument 3.jpg

The small town of Earlton just south of where my family is has a 9 ton sculpture of the North American Bison. When it was first done, it was anatomically correct, but local folks campaigned to have it less correct and it was suitably neutered to accommodate the local wishes:
Attachment:
Earl.jpg
Attachment:
Earl 2.jpg

Enjoy. Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.

Ernest

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#23  Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2018, 8:55 am

Site supporter

Profile Personal album

Nice Ernest. That's a lot of dead miners. Arizona has a pretty extensive mining history - albeit shorter than points further east. I toured one of the old copper mines here once. Not a tour for the claustrophobic. Hats off to all those who did (and still do) pull rocks from deep underground.

Too bad about the buffalo.

"Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity." - Anonymous

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#24  Unread postPosted: May 18th, 2018, 6:25 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 8920
Active Topics: 145

Total Images: 1126
Local time: August 15th, 2018, 2:52 pm
My Bike Models: 1981 GL1100 Vetter "Rats Nest"
1987 CBR1000f Naked "The Pig"
1991 CBR1000f "Red"
1998 GL1500c "Val"

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
+1 Ernest on the great pics. :thanks:

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#25  Unread postPosted: May 19th, 2018, 1:22 am

Site supporter

Topic author

2008 GL1800 (sold)

Profile Personal album

Earl the bison got the short end of the stick so to speak. Maybe size envy! :music:

Have had a small setback. When I came back from the ride on Thursday, shut the bike off and it would not start. Checked the system and found the starter solenoid had failed. No worries, ordered a new one, received yesterday, installed checked to ensure correct operation, and hooked into starter. Went to start the bike and the starter draw took the battery down to 5 VDC from 12.6 VDC. Not good. Did this twice to confirm my worst suspicion.

Took the starter off, had installed new exhaust studs and washers, new pieces make work so much easier. Took the end off the starter and the internals are burnt, could smell it without being up close, and very discoloured. Also found a field coil screw head missing that allowed the field coil to float in the casing, not good either. I think the loose field coil was impinging on the armature and this contributed to the starter failure.

My issue with this is that I bought this as a refurbished starter in January 2016, had it fail on me in June 2016, and had it repaired under warranty in August 2016. Since then, this is the only bike it has been installed on, and I cannot think of a reason for the field coil screw to fail.

Regardless, I will be ordering up another starter and get the bike back on the road. I'm glad I have the time in my schedule to absorb this hiccup. Rescheduled a few visits and will get some additional work done for my Mother earlier than expected.

More to follow. Cheers

Ernest

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#26  Unread postPosted: May 19th, 2018, 2:55 am

Global Moderator
C5 Club

Total Posts: 14860
Active Topics: 151

Total Images: 112
Local time: August 15th, 2018, 12:52 am
My Bike Models: 98 Valkyrie, 84 Standard, X2 80GL1100,81GL1100,82KZ750,81 Seca750 ++

Profile Personal album

Good it failed there and not on the road. Push starting these is real work.

Vote NO on taxes, levies, and incumbents.
Every day I learn I know less than I thought I did.
Every time something is made idiot proof. The world produces a better idiot!
Maturity like wisdom seldom arrives without age. Far too often though age arrives without either.
ImageImage Image
Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often. For the same reason.
A fine is tax you pay for doing wrong. A tax is fine you pay for doing well.
Second place makes you first loser.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#27  Unread postPosted: May 19th, 2018, 4:07 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 477
Active Topics: 11

Local time: August 15th, 2018, 12:52 am
My Bike Models: GL1800 ('06)
GL1000 'project'- '78 with '75 motor
Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250
Ex 68 TR6C Triumph (chopped)

Have you checked with local automotive electric rebuilders? Starter motors are pretty easy to rebuild for them.

"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#28  Unread postPosted: May 19th, 2018, 6:22 am

Site supporter

Topic author

2008 GL1800 (sold)

Profile Personal album

Have you checked with local automotive electric rebuilders? Starter motors are pretty easy to rebuild for them.

If this were a major centre I would, but here in the north of Ontario not a lot of places if any. I had talked to my brother about machine shops and there are none he knows of north of North Bay. The days of having parts rebuilt by local shops is quickly disappearing.

Cheers

Ernest

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#29  Unread postPosted: May 19th, 2018, 7:09 am

Site supporter

Profile Personal album

You may have done this already - and I apologize if you have - but exactly how far north are we talking here? Based on your photos and trees still not leafed out in late May, it must really be "up there". Could you please post a pinned map or some coordinates, just for curiosity's sake?

Bummer about the starter.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#30  Unread postPosted: May 19th, 2018, 10:35 am

Site supporter

Topic author

2008 GL1800 (sold)

Profile Personal album

Yea - the starter is unexpected. Here are the coordinates of where I am now: 48.0977° N, 79.7152° W I'm some 589 Km (365 miles) north of Toronto.

The wind also changed direction and blew the ice back into the bay. Still not out of winter yet.

Cheers

Ernest

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently August 14th, 2018, 8:52 pm