LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently September 22nd, 2018, 10:29 am
Who Is Online: Ansimp, charles franz ....1 guest(s) viewing this forum
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » General Discussions » General Forum

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#1  Unread postPosted: August 30th, 2018, 6:06 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Total Posts: 1407
Active Topics: 90

Total Images: 44
Local time: September 22nd, 2018, 11:29 am
My Bike Models: - '97 Valkyrie Bumblebee Tourer that Honda never made!

- '78 GL1000 - custom and evolving

- '79 CBX-Z - a work in progress

Profile Personal album

Bombshell: Carbs (especially CV carbs) don't like to sit around idle.

Seriously, I don't think this comes as a surprise to anybody who's dealt with them for any length of time. I knew better. But, the Phoenix mean season doesn't exactly beckon to motorcyclists. Not me, at least. I normally get a couple of long road trips in each Summer, but I "came out of retirement" in late June and missed my window this year.

So, three motorcycles have been mostly idle. If I remembered, I was starting them every couple of weeks or so. But, the Valkyrie sat for almost a month and the carbs dried out. Normally, unless an idle/slow jet gets clogged that's not always a kiss of death. But, for the second time since I've owned it. the #5 float stuck down and the machine poured gas on restart. I banged the bowl and said kind (and unkind) words on two separate occasions. No joy. Flood city. Enough that I had the fire extinguisher on hand.

I guess the third time's the charm. I did some spirited banging, rocked the bike back and forth as far as I could, crossed my fingers and fired it up. No more flooding! I think I dodged a bullet this time.

But the moral?

If the bike must sit for a while, treat the gas, and either drain the carbs or start the machine frequently enough not to let the floats settle on the bottom. They seem to like staying there on occasion. (My '84 Aspencade would do the same thing).

"Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity." - Anonymous

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#2  Unread postPosted: August 31st, 2018, 5:41 am

Global Moderator
C5 Club

Total Posts: 14883
Active Topics: 151

Total Images: 112
Local time: September 22nd, 2018, 2:29 pm
My Bike Models: 98 Valkyrie, 84 Standard, X2 80GL1100,81GL1100,82KZ750,81 Seca750 ++

Profile Personal album

Another reason to run ATF in the gas. ALWAYS! I've let mine sit for a year and then it started right up. I've found the ATF makes a great fuel stabilizer too.

Vote NO on taxes, levies, and incumbents.
Every day I learn I know less than I thought I did.
Every time something is made idiot proof. The world produces a better idiot!
Maturity like wisdom seldom arrives without age. Far too often though age arrives without either.
ImageImage Image
Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often. For the same reason.
A fine is tax you pay for doing wrong. A tax is fine you pay for doing well.
Second place makes you first loser.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#3  Unread postPosted: August 31st, 2018, 6:20 am

Total Posts: 160
Active Topics: 10

Local time: September 22nd, 2018, 12:29 pm
My Bike Models: 1976 Honda GL1000
1978 Yamaha XS650
1984 Harley XLH1000
1969 Camaro Z28
1977 Redheaded Wife

Another reason to run ATF in the gas. ALWAYS! I've let mine sit for a year and then it started right up. I've found the ATF makes a great fuel stabilizer too.

At what ratio are you using ATF? I am in the habit of stabilizing all my fuel but it gets a little spendy.

Jack of many trades, Master of none!

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#4  Unread postPosted: August 31st, 2018, 9:22 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 188
Active Topics: 13

Total Images: 20
My Bike Models: 1981 Honda GL1100

Profile Personal album

1oz per gallon

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5  Unread postPosted: September 1st, 2018, 5:10 am

Global Moderator
C5 Club

Total Posts: 14883
Active Topics: 151

Total Images: 112
My Bike Models: 98 Valkyrie, 84 Standard, X2 80GL1100,81GL1100,82KZ750,81 Seca750 ++

Profile Personal album

1oz per gallon

Yes that's the ratio. I'm not real precise in my measurements though. I tend to pour and guess.

Vote NO on taxes, levies, and incumbents.
Every day I learn I know less than I thought I did.
Every time something is made idiot proof. The world produces a better idiot!
Maturity like wisdom seldom arrives without age. Far too often though age arrives without either.
ImageImage Image
Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often. For the same reason.
A fine is tax you pay for doing wrong. A tax is fine you pay for doing well.
Second place makes you first loser.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#6  Unread postPosted: September 1st, 2018, 5:12 am

Total Posts: 44
Active Topics: 1

My Bike Models: 1978 GL1000 128K

At what ratio are you using ATF? I am in the habit of stabilizing all my fuel but it gets a little spendy.

I add Marine Sta-Bill to every tank of gas.

One ounce to 5 gallons.

About $20 for 32 ounces,so that's a lot of gas.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#7  Unread postPosted: September 1st, 2018, 7:00 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 1747
Active Topics: 32

Total Images: 70
Local time: September 22nd, 2018, 1:29 pm
My Bike Models: 1986 GL1200A "Goldie"
2016 HD FLTRU "BB"

Profile Personal album

+1 :music:

Riding anything is a good day

Mike

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#8  Unread postPosted: September 1st, 2018, 9:12 am

Site supporter

Topic author

Profile Personal album

I'll be honest with you. I knew the pitfalls and have used fuel treatments for years. Just. Not. This. Summer.
Let's call it a wake up call. Too easy to do. Too much potential trouble if you don't. I dodged the bullet this time.

"Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity." - Anonymous

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#9  Unread postPosted: September 2nd, 2018, 9:39 am

Global Moderator
Site supporter

Total Posts: 8579
Active Topics: 1038

Total Images: 1086
Local time: September 22nd, 2018, 1:29 pm
My Bike Models: 1981 GL1100 Innerstate :>)
1996 GL1500 Innerstate

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Well....iffin it make ya feel any better, I done the same dang thing. :doh: The 1100(The Turd) has been sittin idle for a couple of months now. I usually fire it up every couple of weeks and let it run for a while, but I haven't started it for at least two months...bad mistake! Went out today to fire it off an let it run, but it dint wanna run very well. Took a lot longer than normal to get it started, and it apparently is dead, or at least half-dead on one cylinder. So....I let it run for 30 nimutes or so while I fiddled with the carbs and such. It did finally get a little better, but still not 100%. I'll fool with it some more tomorrow.... :builder: :whip:

I know the voices aren't real...but they have some really cool ideas
Joel AdamsImage
1981 GL1100 GoldWing Interstate
1996 GL1500 GoldWing Interstate

28941 29867

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#10  Unread postPosted: September 2nd, 2018, 12:01 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Profile Personal album

Thanks Joel. Sorry for your trouble. I guess I'd rather have a stuck float than a clogged jet - but the point here is that both are largely avoidable with treated fuel. (Not entirely sure a float couldn't still get stuck, but probably less likely).

...and it doesn't make me feel any better. We both are our own worst enemies. We should practice what we preach!

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#11  Unread postPosted: September 5th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Total Posts: 1

Local time: September 22nd, 2018, 10:29 am
My Bike Models: 1984 GL1200 Standard, 2001 CBR 1100XX, 2007 ST1300A, NC700X and NC700XD, 1985 Honda Rebel 250

quote="slabghost"]
[/quote]

I use it in my diesel to clean the fuel system. Didn't know that you could use it in gas.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently September 22nd, 2018, 10:29 am