LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently October 16th, 2018, 8:59 am
Who Is Online: brianinpa, TossingLead, TOWPRO ....
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » Repairs and Modifications » Restorations

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.
Log in or create a free account.

Print view

Forum rules


This forum is strictly for members documenting a current or past restoration and the discussion of those restorations.
It is not for discussions about repairs or modifications.
Please use the appropriate model forums for these other discussions.


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message

Offline

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#256  Unread postPosted: October 13th, 2018, 5:58 pm

User avatar
**** *
**** *
Site supporter

Topic author



Joined: July 4th, 2013, 9:11 am
Last visit: Today, 6:35 am

Total Posts: 514
Active Topics: 11

Location: Clinton, TN
Local time: October 16th, 2018, 12:59 pm
Country:  United States (us)
My Bike Models: GL1800 ('06)
GL1000 'project'- '78 with '75 motor
Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250
Ex 68 TR6C Triumph (chopped)


Profile

Well, this may even be worse than the Hunley. Some bright "mechanic" replaced the forks with Kawasaki KZ750H (LTD) leading axle forks that give it about 2" trail. Oh, and they are 36mm forks in Honda's 35mm triples. They just stretched the clamps out. So luckily, I had an extra set of GL1000 forks that are ratty looking but Ok in the seal area. Ebay for a set of GL1000 triples and axle. Also the original bike used the same calipers as a GL1000, so I have some spare parts.

Shims (it uses bucket-anf-shim valve adjustment) still need swapped, but even with valves out-of-spec the compression is fairly good.

I've been rolling the tank with over a gallon of Evapo-rust in it to clean it up after an acetone soak to get the varnish out.

It's going to be fun figuring out how to meld the CB750F instruments with the GL1000 upper triple.

Fork dust seals came today as well as some nifty-looking red brake lines from China. Front forks are mounted with 200 cc each ATF.

Maybe the humidity will get low enough forme to consider repainting the Hunley's side covers soon. I need a break from these carbs! Kehiens, and worse than the ones on a GL1000! Air cut on EACH CARB! I'm going to disable the air cuts, set the pilots 1/2 turn beyond factory, and let it backfire a little. So far I've spent four days cleaning carbs and only have one finished.

_________________________________

"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"


Top  

Offline

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#257  Unread postPosted: October 14th, 2018, 2:35 am

User avatar
**** **
**** **
Site supporter
Single Carb Club
C5 Club

Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:21 pm
Last visit: Yesterday, 2:35 pm

Total Posts: 17807
Active Topics: 185

Total Images: 1718
Location: chuluota florida
Local time: October 16th, 2018, 12:59 pm
Country:  United States (us)
My Bike Models: A bunch in the works
My Bike Logs forum link: viewforum.php?f=121

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
My my the carbs can really get to you

_________________________________

Image

thank god and hooch im gone


Top  

Offline

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#258  Unread postPosted: October 14th, 2018, 2:31 pm

User avatar
**** *
**** *
Site supporter

Topic author



Joined: July 4th, 2013, 9:11 am
Last visit: Today, 6:35 am

Total Posts: 514
Active Topics: 11

Location: Clinton, TN
Local time: October 16th, 2018, 12:59 pm
Country:  United States (us)
My Bike Models: GL1800 ('06)
GL1000 'project'- '78 with '75 motor
Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250
Ex 68 TR6C Triumph (chopped)


Profile

I've also found that all four had the floats set to ~25mm (supposed to be 15.5mm) and none level. Suspected to be trying to fix flooding. #1 had very rough float seat that I lapped with jeweler's rouge and a mandrel made from a spring-loaded center punch tip. I can leak check these individually with 91% isopropyl alcohol, an advantage over the GL1000 set.

_________________________________

"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"


Top  
Post new topic Reply to topic


Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently October 16th, 2018, 8:59 am
Who Is Online: brianinpa, TossingLead, TOWPRO ....
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » Repairs and Modifications » Restorations

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.
Log in or create a free account.

Display topics from previous:  Sort by  

Contact Us Terms of Use Privacy Policy

The views and opinions expressed at this public user forum are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy
or position of Classicgoldwings.com, it's moderators or administrators, or it's forum founder or owner.
Any content provided by our bloggers or authors are of their own opinion, and are not intended to malign any religion,
ethic group, club, organization, company, individual or anyone or anything.


Copyright © classicgoldwings.com All Rights Reserved

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


CGW - Chat