1200 electrical glitch

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tory

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there isnt alot of 1200 guys here,but I could use some help.

I am helping a friend out with an issue with his "new to him" 84 1200 aspencade.I feel bad he is having a problem seeing as I refered the bike to him.

Every once and a while it will lose the headlight,taillights,and digital dash momentarily.The bike will continue to run great,and the CB,stereo,intercom ect... will continue to work fine.But we are afraid the lights will eventually stop working permanently.

I have cleaned the plug to the fuse box,and the plug to the ignition switch harness as well as every other plug I could find,and had thought we took care og it,but today while riding,it happened again.Lasted 30 seconds and everything came back on.I thought at first it only happened when you would turn the key on aftr riding a few miles (spontaniously)but when it did it today while riding.

The good news is after all that contact cleaning the CB works great

It sounds like it may be in the ignition switch it's self. I had a V65 Magna that did that. I took the switch out and took it apart and found the contacts were very dirty from the age. I cleand them and regreased them and never had another problem. Just be careful and watch every peice you take out. Mine had a small BB in it.

yep sounds like starfleet might be right ......it diffinitly sounds like a weak connection somwhere and the key seems to be the common connector to it

welcome starfleet ....to the forum....

You might check the fuse contacts on the fuse block :read: :read:sometimes the spring contacts get dirty or loose :sensored: ...I don't know the fuse layout but I have had that kind of problem in autos as will as bikes. :headscratch: ..just a thought :roll: :roll: :whistling: ..Bob

It appears as though the problem is solved.

After cleaning several connections with no luck,I was finally present and able to move a bunch of connectors and found the main harness to the fuse block was hot to touch.

After unplugging it,we found a contact that had been hot enough to melt the plastic enough around it to hinder the connection.

Replaced the bad contact,clean the rest of the plug,lubed and reinstalled tightly.Not only has it not been an issue for the last 1500 miles,but I think his headlight is brighter now.

I SEE, say da blind man!!! :lol:
Seems like a LOT of the electrical issues with these ol gals is just that...connection problems that eventually lead to melted stuff...BOO!!!!!
We may have to start unplugging/plugging stuff every winter, just to keep it all in good shape. I wonder if dielectric grease would help?

AApple":2buhucde said:
Seems like a LOT of the electrical issues with these ol gals is just that...connection problems that eventually lead to melted stuff...BOO!!!!!
We may have to start unplugging/plugging stuff every winter, just to keep it all in good shape. I wonder if dielectric grease would help?

Dielectric grease is wonderful stuff.. Always make sure the connector females are tight and then use the grease. It keeps corrosion at bay and water out of the connectors as well. If you can keep the connectors from getting hot you are also protecting your alternator and electronic ignition components as well. Dirty/corroded connectors equal increased current and heat in the entire circuit - - - Boo Hiss No Good..
:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

AApple":g2m81165 said:

Seems like the 1200s where alot worse.I dont have near the rats nest of wires as this thing does,I hate to have to mess with a SEI or LE. :shock:

Yes,I used plenty of diolectric grease on every connection.

Latest posts