1983 aspencade headlight

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Njord390 Blue

Reaction score
I’m not sure what the brown and loose green wire are for. Does anyone know. My headlight isn’t working.

Attachments

• IMG_1283.jpeg
    IMG_1283.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
I checked for continuity at the plug. There was power to the blue wire but not the white wire. So I plugged the headlight back in and turned the ignition switch on and there was a very dim light on low and no light on high beam.

Not familiar with the '83 Aspy, but wondering if the bike has small marker lights next to the headlight. My '86 does. Those other plugs might go to them....

If you read the schematics and provide the colors of wires others may be able to help.
attached link to schematics
https://classicgoldwings.com/media/albums/honda-service-manual-1983-aspencade.10183/
I can guess at a couple of things, determine which color wires provide power and measure the voltage from each wire to the battery negative. That will help determine if you have a pinched or frayed wire or bad connection. You also need to determine where the ground is for the headlight and and measure the continuity from it to battery ground, there should be very little if any resistance. This could help find if the ground circuit is good.

These old bikes tend to have corroded connections from age/moisture/abuse. That doesn't include the previous people before you trying to 'fix' things.

You may find further info in the factory manual, attached link
https://classicgoldwings.com/media/categories/honda-service-manual-gl1100-1980-1983.1145/

I’m guessing those are just extra wires then for if I want to add extra lights. I don’t have them now. I will do as you suggested, checking voltage and continuity.
Thanks for your help. I’ll do an update after I’ve done those checks.

I’m not sure what the brown and loose green wire are for. Does anyone know. My headlight isn’t working.
I’m thinking this might be part of the problem I’m having. The headlight wires go into this connector. Now to figure out how to clean it. I don’t want to replace it.

Attachments

• IMG_1291.png
    IMG_1291.png
    8.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts