Bike acts like it has a rev limiter in around 5000 rpm

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, you noted that 2 different carb sets were used, both recently overhauled, so carbs might be able to be ruled out. Fuel delivery under load is a different story. The carbs can only put out the amount of fuel delivered to them.

So, if you get into 5th gear and slowly raise the throttle as you reach highway speeds, can you creep up past 5000 RPM? If not, then I would assume gas delivery to the carbs is being either restricted or starved. New gas lines by chance?
You can get past 5000 rpm with throttle slowly but it has difficulty. Yes all rubber is new fuel lines etc

Assuming the fuel pump is working correctly, I would suspect possible issue at the fuel pickup inside the gas tank, or possibly even the fuel petcock seals being swollen. Easy way to check the pickup. Close the petcock, take the gas line off the filter, insert the end of an air pump hose (tapered type), open the petcock and send compressed air into the tank (I would not use more than 12 lbs of air pressure.) Reconnect the gas hose and take the bike for a ride right away. If no immediate difference, you can at least rule out a clogged pickup screen.

Assuming the fuel pump is working correctly, I would suspect possible issue at the fuel pickup inside the gas tank, or possibly even the fuel petcock seals being swollen. Easy way to check the pickup. Close the petcock, take the gas line off the filter, insert the end of an air pump hose (tapered type), open the petcock and send compressed air into the tank (I would not use more than 12 lbs of air pressure.) Reconnect the gas hose and take the bike for a ride right away. If no immediate difference, you can at least rule out a clogged pickup screen.
I've finally figured it out it showed its face. I was at my ol motorcycle buddy's house were I shut it off , then he said start it and drive by his house at full throttle so he could hear it. So I cranked the bike took off and it didn't do it , turned around and launched that bike absolutely screamed down the road then the bike started dying . Looked down and realized the petcock was off causing bike to run leaner. So the problem was I'm running rich at full throttle so I'm gonna drop the float level to 16mm instead of 15.5, although it could be weak spark at higher rpm

Last edited:
Well droping the float height helped a lot but it is still present however you can pull out of the problem area. I set the float height to 16 mm, I guess I could set it to 16.5 I'm afraid I'll make it run too lean has anybody ever had a problem with the needle Jets and those carburetors being worn is it just seems Rich at 3/4 throttle

Latest posts