Brake squeal & Honda Shims

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I bought the bike I had a screech to squeal problem for months. Sometimes when braking other times slightly braking. Also faint at times when just leaning onto corners without braking. Annoying !
It had no brake pad shims. I originally bought and installed the left shims which made it better but not all better.
I'll spare you the details of what I tried and failed and tell you what worked.
I finally bought 4 of the left side Honda Brake pad shimms. The right side is discontinued so I bought 4 left shims and reversed the tabs on two of lt the shims to make them into the unavailable right side shim. It worked. I used a tiny hammer and a vice to re-shape the tabs to accomodate a right pad shape.
Finally no slight or loud squeal, scrubing, high pitched scraping and definetly no more tractor trailer/dump truck brake sounds comming to a stop.
I didn't know for certain if you could reverse the left shim to make it a right shim. Seems you can.
I havent read of anyone doing this or I've missed it if it's out there, so I thought I'd post it since it was easy and worked so well.
Finally it's back to how it came from the factory
If it starts squealing again in a couple of weeks I'm going to pull my hair out.... :head bang:

Recently acquired an abandoned '75 Gl1000 with bent valves. That repaired took for a test ride. Brakes were very noisy. Disassembled the calipers and found both of the brake pad spring separators & 4 brake pad shims missing. I am looking for these parts. Any help you can provide w

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Frisco

Latest posts