ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash2002

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have an electrical problem with my bike. I have a 1982 GL500 that I'm restoring, I have most of it together, for some reason there seems to be a short ( the main fuse blowing ) . I did check all the connection and averything is good, the problem is when I plug the rectifier the fuse blows. I did check the rectifier and it shows good, I even have a spare and it does the same thing. When I do plug it in the plug with the yellow wires is not even connected and it blows. I normaly figure out these problems, but this one got me. Is there something that I'm missing, I would apreciate help with this problem, thanks in advance.

most electrics will work with poles reversed. Positive in place of negative. Rectifier only works one way. Is it possible the battery is in backwards?

Unplug the starter 4 wire connector and use matter set to check resistance and see if the two red and red/white wires show a short... there should be high resistance when they are checked to ground key off.. the red/white is from the r/r red is from fuse from battery.. both wires are the same when plugged in coming from going to battery..

OK, found the problem,Slabghost was almost right. I went to check the polarity of the battery and noticed the positive was on the left instead of the right, so when I connected the battery the positive was on the ground. I never noticed this, all the batterys that I recald were positive on the right. This battery is new so I was able to exchange it for the right one. Thanks for your help guys.